Moparts

Had a leaky intake

Posted By: 469runner

Had a leaky intake - 06/12/21 04:18 PM

The intake manifold was not sealing well on this engine and it was sucking oil. It has been fixed, new plugs installed. But, the new plugs after about 150 miles look a little dark and crusty. How long does it take for the combustion chambers to clean themselves out? Engine runs great now and am using the same heat range as when engine was new.

Attached picture 100_4617.JPG
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Had a leaky intake - 06/12/21 04:49 PM

Was machining of the manifold required or did you just reseal it successfully?

I bought a brand new Edelbrock Victor 440 intake. When I mocked it up using grease on the heads and Permatex on the manifold. I found the manifold is too wide resulting in the bottom of the ports sitting up over a 1/4" above the floor of my Indy EZ intake ports. I had a local shop cut the manifold mating faces down to make the manifold narrower and bring the port alignment into closer proximity to each other.

Prior to having it cut, I used the Hughes Intake Sealing Tech Tip to verify the angle was correct.

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/intake_manifolds_articles.php
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Had a leaky intake - 06/12/21 05:31 PM

I did check angles and found no irregularities. Aluminum heads and aluminum intake using sheetmetal gasket/valley pan didn't do a good job sealing. Used separate valley tray and Superformance paper intake gaskets to fix.
Posted By: elmor353

Re: Had a leaky intake - 06/12/21 10:53 PM

I have found that aluminum doesn't like the stamped bath tub gasket without the paper gaskets sandwiching it. Cast iron heads and intakes do fine without the paper but I have never had an aluminum intake seal properly without them.
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Had a leaky intake - 06/12/21 11:23 PM

Had the same problem with E Street Heads and a Weiand dual plane on my 383/432 Stroker

Block was not cut , just cleaned up resurface - Made it clear to the machine shop

Used these gaskets on the head side of the valley pan , dry silicone bead side to the heads and ports then Edelbrock Gasgacinch to glue the gaskets to the bottom of tin pan itself

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...EJsb2NrIChMb3cgRGVjayk=&partid=33979

Intake manifold side of tin valley pan no gaskets

Has worked awesome so far this summer

My latest set of NGK 6 look great with no oil use

Makes you wonder how much of that oil if any works it’s way through the exhaust system ? Was going thru about a quart every 500 miles or so for a few summers
© 2024 Moparts Forums