Moparts

What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides?

Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/14/21 07:55 PM

1970 Cuda 440, aluminum heads, water pump, still has brass radiator. I always used Prestone green, but that’s not easy to find. What are you guys using in similar engines?
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/14/21 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
I always used Prestone green, but that’s not easy to find.

Yes, wonder why that is? flame

*Edit* Yeah, I know why that is: flame flame flame

Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/14/21 08:31 PM

I use quantum blue from BND auto with distilled water. Yes pricey
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/14/21 08:47 PM

None

Reverse osmosis water with Justice Brothers Coolant Protectant and JB Radiator Cooler

Edit: what are the lowest temp in Washington were your live. Is the car in garage? Attached or not?
Posted By: bee1971

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/14/21 08:58 PM

Zerex G-05

Aluminum Radiator/Heads

50/50 With Distilled Water

Gets a little chilly in WI even in the Spring and Fall believe it or not
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/14/21 09:25 PM

Cheapest
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/15/21 12:04 AM

Aluminum heads, and intake. Some Red Premixed Caterpillar ELC safe for aluminum heads, water pumps etc. Had family that worked on Equipment who said it was not notch plus was free to me.
Used it in the 1994 Dodge 2500 diesel as well.
Posted By: TJP

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/15/21 01:02 AM

napa should have it or did, I bought 6 or 7 cases of napa brand 50/50 long life about 3 months back
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/15/21 12:18 PM

I just picked up 2 gallons of Prestone green concentrate the other day at my local autozone $13.99, they had premixed also at $15.99....$2 more for water and less AF, nice! But they were fully stocked with it, no Zerex though...
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/15/21 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by bee1971
Zerex G-05

Aluminum Radiator/Heads

50/50 With Distilled Water

Gets a little chilly in WI even in the Spring and Fall believe it or not

This^^ Aluminum headed/aluminum rad 470"
Posted By: AndyF

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/15/21 03:17 PM

1970 Cuda 440, aluminum heads, water pump, still has brass radiator. I always used Prestone green, but that’s not easy to find. What are you guys using in similar engines?

The brand doesn't matter. Use distilled water and small amount of anti-freeze and you'll be fine. Important thing is to change it on a regular basis. Once a year or at least once every two years. Don't let it sit in the car for years and years.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/15/21 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF

The brand doesn't matter. Use distilled water and small amount of anti-freeze and you'll be fine. Important thing is to change it on a regular basis. Once a year or at least once every two years. Don't let it sit in the car for years and years.

Exactly
Posted By: second 70

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/15/21 04:36 PM

Here's what ethylene glycol mixed with mineral water can do to aluminum after not being changed in 14 years in a car with only 2,000 that was all new. Only ate the tank nipple and only clogged the offset in the t and never leaked or over heated. The T was open straight to allow the coolant to flow fine. Battery was replaced after 10 years and it was fine. Lol

I should add that despite it looking perfectly green with 0 rust when drained it tested as having 0 protection.

Attached picture IMG_2241.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2261.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2242.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2243.JPG
Posted By: moparx

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/15/21 05:07 PM

i have seen that green "mossy" stuff in old antifreeze, but Mopar Action's E-booger claims time and time again, that antifreeze doesn't wear out, it just needs water pump lubricant and something else [which i have forgotten] replenished every so often [which i have also forgotten the time frame].
so ? shruggy
beer
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/16/21 02:53 AM

I agree with Ehrenberg, the Man knows his stuff.

I have the original antifreeze (21 years old) in a 360 Magnum, and well over 30 to 40 years old in 440's, 340's, 318's and a Slant 6. Rads are all original and only have replaced the odd water pump.

Sorry if anyone else has different experiences, but I have had zero issues.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/16/21 02:57 AM

etheylene glycol doesn’t wear out, the additive package does,
Posted By: second 70

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/16/21 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly
I agree with Ehrenberg, the Man knows his stuff.

I have the original antifreeze (21 years old) in a 360 Magnum, and well over 30 to 40 years old in 440's, 340's, 318's and a Slant 6. Rads are all original and only have replaced the odd water pump.

Sorry if anyone else has different experiences, but I have had zero issues.

I've had the same experience of it lasting forever but I was told this was caused by sitting and the aluminum. Antifreeze can become corrosive over the years. Shop calls it rot. Three things that helped cause it aluminum,cadmium plated steel T, and battery. You can see how clamp on tee by tank is rusted while the other clamp shows no damage.The red GM stuff will start taking out the water pump gasket after about 10 years. Won't hurt anything else. I've seem aluminum heads off diesel truck engines that had the yellow antifreeze in them and it looked like someone cut a groove in the head from water passage to cc. They said it's caused by the vibration of engine and causes it to separate and anyone whoever worked as a diesel mechanic knows better than to use it.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/16/21 05:47 PM

I only use whatever I can find that's still actually green. Years ago Prestone started coming yellow instead of green and within months it would start filling my overflow bottle and other parts with goop. I think Peak is still green and the house brand from parts stores is usually geen too.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/16/21 06:23 PM

My 26 year old Jeep XJ just got a replacement radiator two years ago (leak).... my 20 year old pickup is still OE. Both maintained every 2-3 years (mopar green/distilled water).

My drag car (W8/iron block/aluminum rad) I store with a sacrificial anode and use the “pink” mopar 5yr ethylene glycol coolant.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/16/21 07:52 PM

Been running Evans since start up 3 years ago. Apparently others have complained of it being corrosive. I'm not noticing any corrosion whatsoever. Stuff is ridiculously expensive though. I'll never flush it. My radiator, heater core engine and hoses gulped down 7 gallons of that stuff at $40 a gallon.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/16/21 08:23 PM

Luckily Im in an area I dont have to use any.
Straight distilled water with a water wetter type cooling additive

Although I have given some thought to drain a little out and add some ethylene glycol to have some rust preventative measures in it
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: What antifreeze to use these days in our old rides? - 05/16/21 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
Luckily Im in an area I dont have to use any.
Straight distilled water with a water wetter type cooling additive

Although I have given some thought to drain a little out and add some ethylene glycol to have some rust preventative measures in it

But a bottle of rust preventative. Some water wetter additives have rust preventative.
© 2024 Moparts Forums