Moparts

Centerline Wheels Restoration

Posted By: JFChallenger440

Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/01/21 09:42 AM

Anyone know if these centerline wheels could be brought back with any kind of product or would they need refurbing ? Thanks

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/01/21 11:56 AM

Those are very clean! Should easily polish to a great shine. What type of finish do you want? Bright or mirror?
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/01/21 12:29 PM

Try some Mothers aluminum polish.
Posted By: WORKER_BEE

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/01/21 02:13 PM

You are going to need to use an acid-based etching cleaner to bring back that as-new satin look.

I used Eagle One's Etching Mag Wheel Cleaner on a set of Centerlines 30 years ago and it worked great. They still make it but I'm not sure if it's as strong as it was back in the day.

Link

On your wheels you may need to carefully spin the wheels mounted on your car and use a stiff brush with the cleaner. twocents
Posted By: Neil

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/01/21 02:54 PM

They make two types of mag wheel cleaner and one of them turns aluminum a dull cloudy white color so be aware if that is not the look your after.
Posted By: JFChallenger440

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/01/21 05:04 PM

Ok thanks , was going to use fine steel wool and autosol polish
Posted By: moparx

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/01/21 05:49 PM

test on the back side first with what ever product you decide to use, and to what finish you want to obtain.
then you can be assured your results will be what you want.
beer
Posted By: second 70

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/02/21 02:26 PM

You'd be surprised how well an SOS or Brillo pad with comet will clean them up.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/02/21 04:44 PM

Some boat store have an acid solution that they use on aluminum pontoon boats that might work good.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/02/21 07:05 PM

You can buy aluminum cleaning acid in any hardware store - its called "steam iron cleaner". Spray it on, scrub the wheels and rinse it off. SO NOT let it dry on the surface as it will streak. and you'll have to repeat the whole process. I'd go this route before hitting them with any sort of abrasive.
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/02/21 10:37 PM

Couple of suggestions:

1) FINISH
I had the polished rims that were badly faded...took a LOT of elbow grease, but these came out just fine after using Mother's Billet polish, stuff is awesome...cleaned up the aluminum oxidization in no time...again, different finish on my rims though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2) THE JOB
For what it's worth, the rivets in my rims are just there to look pretty...meaning, they do not actually rivet anything together...so to ease the job I literally popped them out...one by one. Cleaned the rim and the rivets separately and them popped them back in using a non-marking end. Haven't had a single problem yet, nonoe of them have backed out.
Posted By: Dynoguy

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/03/21 10:46 PM

You could try some stuff called Wenol it comes in a tube you rub it in with a paper towel until the towel turns black then polish the remaining off with a soft cloth. It work well on my Weld Wheels.
Posted By: 68Bullit

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/03/21 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Moparite
Try some Mothers aluminum polish.

Gonna be doing the same thing to my Centerline Telstars. I’ve used the mothers polish before, and iit kept them alive for several years while the car was in storage. I’m sure it will work again...
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/04/21 02:36 PM

FLITZ - good stuff.

https://www.flitz.com/
Posted By: wingman

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/04/21 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by JFChallenger440
Ok thanks , was going to use fine steel wool and autosol polish

Don't use steel wool on aluminum wheels.

The tiny particles from the steel wool can get embedded in the soft aluminum and cause various problems.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Centerline Wheels Restoration - 05/05/21 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dynoguy
You could try some stuff called Wenol it comes in a tube you rub it in with a paper towel until the towel turns black then polish the remaining off with a soft cloth. It work well on my Weld Wheels.

Autosol and Wenol are almost twins.
Best is ultra fine wet sanding with a follow up of wool pads black emey followed by white rouge.
If you want to do a,Wenol type product skip it and Autosol and use Speedy All Metal it is superior.
It can also be used to maintain the look.
I use Speedy to keep things up followed by a. Carnuba wax
© 2024 Moparts Forums