Moparts

Serpentine belt life ?

Posted By: BeEtLeJuIcE !

Serpentine belt life ? - 04/23/21 01:59 AM

A certain INfamous - and many time BANNED - Cereal Guy recently claimed over 350k miles on an original belt !

NOT questioning that .. I’ve seen very little wear on lotsa belts ...

You ?
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Serpentine belt life ? - 04/23/21 02:19 AM

Ha ha....
356,000 miles on my truck...original belt!

Re: Serpentine belt life ? - 04/23/21 02:32 AM

FrankenBerri... wasssupy ?

So what do YOU attribute the long life you ?

Thin construction... thus cooler running ? Inside ribbing ?
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Serpentine belt life ? - 04/23/21 02:45 AM

Ive got 11 years on one, plan to change it just because im gonna do a bit of other work.

How about 155k on org. plugs and front rotors???? Thats my current best.

I wonder if franken wore out several idlers in that 350k?
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Serpentine belt life ? - 04/23/21 02:51 AM

Yeah, I don't know. My truck (2001, Ram, 1500, 5.2) probably had 100,000+ on it before I had to change a belt. I've tried several belts (that ALL sucked), and found an AC Delco (of all brands) that has lasted a few years. However, it seems it's time a gain. Belt is beginning to squeal for a minute or so if the truck sits for more than 12ish hours.

Re: Serpentine belt life ? - 04/23/21 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
Ive got 11 years on one, plan to change it just because im gonna do a bit of other work.

How about 155k on org. plugs and front rotors???? Thats my current best.

I wonder if franken wore out several idlers in that 350k?

I’ll bet berri GREASED THEM !

Re: Serpentine belt life ? - 04/23/21 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
Yeah, I don't know. My truck (2001, Ram, 1500, 5.2) probably had 100,000+ on it before I had to change a belt. I've tried several belts (that ALL sucked), and found an AC Delco (of all brands) that has lasted a few years. However, it seems it's time a gain. Belt is beginning to squeal for a minute or so if the truck sits for more than 12ish hours.

AM fm .. ever try Gates ?
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: Serpentine belt life ? - 04/23/21 02:56 AM

The serpentine belt on my cummins has 450,000 kms on it, it's a gates.

Re: Serpentine belt life ? - 04/23/21 03:05 AM

uP .. 450 Canadian? .. isn’t that about A MILLION ... USA? xmaseek
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Serpentine belt life ? - 04/23/21 05:36 AM

My water pump drips sometimes so when I dig in to replace it, I'll change the belt at that time.
I have no clue why this one lasted this long. It still looks good, though the black has faded to a gray color. No cracks though. It gets hot here.....

Attached picture 8-16-A.png
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Serpentine belt life ? - 04/23/21 06:05 AM

My 96 powerstroke still has the org. belt, thats alot of years but still low low miles and is parked indoors 24/7.
Posted By: 58pwrwgn

Re: Serpentine belt life ? - 04/23/21 11:21 AM

20 years and 221000 on the ford focus when I sold it
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Serpentine belt life ? - 04/25/21 03:42 AM

The serpentine belts do tend to last a long time. I think its because the ribs running on most of the pulleys add a lot more grip then the one single groove of a V belt, so the flat belt doesn't as allow much slipping like the V belt design. does. The less slipping, the less heat, and the longer life span. I think the reason most people change the serpentine belt is because of the cracks they see between the cogs across the belts. Most damaged serpentine belts I've seen were split along its length when the belt got off the sides of the pulleys. Gene
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Serpentine belt life ? - 04/25/21 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
Originally Posted by Fat_Mike

AM fm .. ever try Gates ?

Yep, Gates from O'Reilly. Not sure which grade, so some may be better than others. The AC Delco has a "lifetime warranty." It lasted longer than expected, but I'm all ears for a better one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums