Moparts

Spectra Premium Gas Tanks?

Posted By: RJS

Spectra Premium Gas Tanks? - 04/22/21 03:21 PM

I was searching the net for the best deal on a Spectra Premium tank CR 14 and it came up as AMD is that who took them over?

Then I find another company TRQ that I've never heard of, I like to buy the Spectra because they were always natural galvanized but I see a bunch of tanks that have that grey painted look.

Any advice out there?
Thanks Ron
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: Spectra Premium Gas Tanks? - 04/22/21 03:33 PM

Autozone sells Spectra Premium. Look for a 20% coupon as well.

Jeff

Re: Spectra Premium Gas Tanks? - 04/22/21 03:41 PM

Thanks Cuda but put it in my cart and came up out of stock
Ron
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Spectra Premium Gas Tanks? - 04/22/21 03:47 PM

Rock auto was where I bought my Spectra tank to get the best price, it's been a few years so I don't know if they still carry them?
If so, don't forget to use one of the 5% off codes!

Re: Spectra Premium Gas Tanks? - 04/22/21 04:19 PM

Yes they are the only place I found to list this p/n and brand so far.
Ron
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: Spectra Premium Gas Tanks? - 04/22/21 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by RJS
Thanks Cuda but put it in my cart and came up out of stock
Ron

I know the products out of Canada are getting really tough to get.

Posted By: kentj340

Re: Spectra Premium Gas Tanks? - 04/23/21 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by RJS
I was searching the net for the best deal on a Spectra Premium tank CR 14 and it came up as AMD is that who took them over?

Then I find another company TRQ that I've never heard of, I like to buy the Spectra because they were always natural galvanized but I see a bunch of tanks that have that grey painted look.

Any advice out there?
Thanks Ron

Not galvanized, meaning not hot dipped in zinc. They are Ni-Terne coated, according to the Spectra Premium website.

During the muscle car era and before, terne was an alloy of 80-90% lead and 10-20% tin. Later the lead was replaced with zinc. Today terne plate is mostly tin, but apparently Spectra uses terne sheet with a nickel addition to the coating. (Wikipedia)

Re: Spectra Premium Gas Tanks? - 04/23/21 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by kentj340
Originally Posted by RJS

Any advice out there?
Thanks Ron

Not galvanized, meaning not hot dipped in zinc. They are Ni-Terne coated, according to the Spectra Premium website.

During the muscle car era and before, terne was an alloy of 80-90% lead and 10-20% tin. Later the lead was replaced with zinc. Today terne plate is mostly tin, but apparently Spectra uses terne sheet with a nickel addition to the coating. (Wikipedia)

So is the AMD the same as a Spectra Premium or different process?

Thanks Ron
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Spectra Premium Gas Tanks? - 04/23/21 03:19 PM

IIRC my Spectra tank came off e bay years ago,
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Spectra Premium Gas Tanks? - 04/23/21 08:44 PM

Spectra stuff is pretty common around here.

I forget if the last gas tank I got was one of theirs or not but I clear coated it to try to keep it looking new longer.
Posted By: Bennoel 10

Re: Spectra Premium Gas Tanks? - 04/23/21 08:56 PM

I purchased a new spectra tank for an a body just a few months ago. I got it from 521 restorations. Dealt with Jeff Brown. Great guy and the lowest price anywhere and I'm located in Canada. The tank was $119 plus $35 to ship from Colorado to Niagara falls New York. Couldn't get anywhere for less. I believe he is a member here on moparts. I was referred by the membership also.
Good luck
© 2024 Moparts Forums