Moparts

727 slipping question

Posted By: solarguy

727 slipping question - 04/04/09 05:18 PM

I have a 727 behind my 340. It has a TF-2 shift kit, an aux cooler in addition to the rad, and I swapped the converter to a turbo action 10" 3000 stall a couple of months ago. During hard launches, I occasionly get what feels like the trans slipping when it first gets into 3rd gear. It happens more readily the longer I drive, (heats up). If I let off the throttle a bit, it 'catches" and goes well from there. I'm thinking the clutches are slipping a bit and was wondering if increasing the line pressure would be a good remedy? Right now, pressure is adjusted per the TF-2 instructions. I felt this happening before the convertor swap but it is exagerated now with the higher stall. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: 727 slipping question - 04/04/09 05:31 PM

if it only happens on the shift into 3rd upping the line pressure may cover it up for a short time but it is not the fix I would be looking at the clutch pack it self.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: 727 slipping question - 04/04/09 05:37 PM

No two ways about it. The front clutch pack is toast. When you have it rebuilt ( and you will soon ) go to a 4 clutch front drum. CRT can set you up with everything you will need. Problem fixed - perminently.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: 727 slipping question - 04/04/09 06:14 PM

Once they slip they don't heal up by themselves.

Re: 727 slipping question - 04/04/09 08:06 PM

Thanks for the responses. I know boosting the line pressure would only be temp if it worked at all. I want to mainly do it as a digagnostic aid. Is there anyway to positively confirm clutch pack outside of a teardown inspection?

I originally thought the fuel pump was getting weak at the top end. Car would cut out for a few seconds, going into 3rd at high rpm, let off gas, ok. No Surge in RPM's felt like I would expect from slipping clutches. It felt like running out of gas for a few seconds. A new fuel pump and a fresh tune and high end snag at 3rd still happens. If I shift manually, no snags. Again, it only happens in auto and only when getting on it hard. Kickdown is adjusted nicely and shift points are good
Posted By: dOc …

Re: 727 slipping question - 04/04/09 08:10 PM

Do you have a way to check pressures ?

Re: 727 slipping question - 04/04/09 08:18 PM

Quote:

Do you have a way to check pressures ?

No, current setting allows 5 more turns counterclockwise from present setting per TF2 settings. Those settings were fine for the 3 years the shift kits been in. I know a guage would help alot
Posted By: dOc …

Re: 727 slipping question - 04/04/09 08:23 PM

I would invest in at least a cheapo 150 psi oil pressure gauge.

And then match up the fittings to the plug on the trans.
© 2024 Moparts Forums