Moparts

Does anyone reproduce Hood Springs for AG Hoods?

Posted By: RSI700VIPER

Does anyone reproduce Hood Springs for AG Hoods? - 02/23/21 04:24 PM

I have a lazy hood hinge on the passenger side on my 71 Roadrunner. After pushing the hood to full open position, the passenger side dips a couple of inches. If I close the hood 95%, the left side still hangs about an inch lower than the right side. I'm thinking it's the hinge spring but not sure. Both springs have 19 coils which I understand are correct for an air grabber hood. I will add that both hinges have play in the riveted areas which seems to be more than usual. Does anyone reproduce the AG springs for a '71 RR?
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Does anyone reproduce Hood Springs for AG Hoods? - 02/23/21 04:30 PM

If you really think it's the spring then swap them side to side and see if the problem moves.

I think the problem is in the bushings myself.

Re: Does anyone reproduce Hood Springs for AG Hoods? - 02/23/21 06:19 PM

I'll give that a try. up
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Does anyone reproduce Hood Springs for AG Hoods? - 02/23/21 08:25 PM

I don't think Chrysler spent money on bushings in the hinges (these are hood hinges, not door hinges. I doubt its the springs. My guess is excess wear on the rivets or rivet holes.You can hammer the b'jeezus out of the rivets to tighten side to side play but there's no cure for wear other than hinge replacement.

Re: Does anyone reproduce Hood Springs for AG Hoods? - 02/23/21 10:29 PM

You are right they are not bushings but rivets.

I used to repair them by grinding off one side of the rivet and popping it out.They are not small and the inner diameter is closer to 1/2".

I would repair the bracket or fashion a similar rivet as needed but I would drill a hole through the rivet and put a bolt and washer through it.

It was a very obvious repair but it worked and worked well.

I think somebody was making the rivets or rebuilding them by replacing the rivets and not bolting them together like I do but redneck engineering works for me. If I had a restored car I would go new or professionally rebuilt units.

When the hinges do not want to sit right from wear. I have had good luck with loosening the hinge(s) and forcing the hood open, up, or down while somebody else tightens the bolts to the hood or inner fender. A little playing can net a lotta years on worn hinges that don't want to sit right.

Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Does anyone reproduce Hood Springs for AG Hoods? - 02/23/21 11:57 PM

Charger springs work good for Plymouth A/G hoods.

Re: Does anyone reproduce Hood Springs for AG Hoods? - 02/24/21 12:26 AM

I see that there is at least 1 company making repop hood springs. Has anyone used them and are they any good?

Re: Does anyone reproduce Hood Springs for AG Hoods? - 02/24/21 08:34 PM

Have you tried swapping the springs?

I would be interested in knowing how others remove the springs. I have two methods.

I support the hood with a 2x4 or helper in the raised position.

If I do not care about the paint on the hinges I put a tire iron or suitable steel bar through the hook end of the spring where it's hooked into the forward end of the hinge. I then pull it out using the bar and a handle. It's a muscle workout job but it works.

If the paint is nice I use a tie down strap hook and strap and pull it forward. Less scratching but I feel like I can get a firmer grip on the steel bar so that is my #1 goto.

I would be interested in how others do it..
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Does anyone reproduce Hood Springs for AG Hoods? - 02/25/21 01:23 AM

I use the strap method.

Re: Does anyone reproduce Hood Springs for AG Hoods? - 02/25/21 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by moparmarks
I use the strap method.

What do you hook the other end of the strap to? When the hood is opened fully, isn't the spring pointing towards the ceiling?

Re: Does anyone reproduce Hood Springs for AG Hoods? - 02/25/21 06:09 PM

It points up but not directly. It points kind of along the hood.

I don't hook the other end of the strap to anything I just use the hook on the strap to hook the spring and use the strap to pull on.

I leave the bottom end hooked, pull the top/forward end of the spring out and off the hook on the hinge. I then slowly let the spring contract until it falls off the rear hook.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: Does anyone reproduce Hood Springs for AG Hoods? - 03/01/21 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by moparmarks
Charger springs work good for Plymouth A/G hoods.

How many coils are charger springs.
© 2024 Moparts Forums