Moparts

Help an idiot fix a carb

Posted By: mopower440

Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/07/21 11:49 PM

I feel like the biggest dumb as*! I am in the process of rebuilding a thermoquad i bought several years ago at a swap meet. The boss where the idle speed screw was not drilled for a screw from the factory, so i drilled and tapped the hole for the screw. My idiot self drilled the hole crooked so now the screw misses the arm that its supposed to touch to hold the throttle plates open! If it were regular metal i would just have the hole welded back up and re-drill and tap it again, hopefully straight, but im sure this pot metal or whatever it is cant be welded. Any ideas of a fix?

Attached picture 0207211600a.jpg
Posted By: racerlall

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/08/21 12:23 AM

aluminum solder like at the fair wear they stick pop cans together

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/08/21 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by racerlall
aluminum solder like at the fair wear they stick pop cans together

where do i get the aluminum solder and what do i use to melt it?
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/08/21 12:58 AM

Put a small nut on the end of the screw?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/08/21 03:11 AM

Try again be moving it down and over twocents scope shruggy
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/08/21 11:06 AM

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-low-temperature-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/08/21 11:20 AM

wow! Just watched the video..never seen this before. Im assuming you have used them? If so, will this fill up the hole dense enough to when i go to drill the new hole it wont just fall back out of the old hole?
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/08/21 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by mopower440

wow! Just watched the video..never seen this before. Im assuming you have used them? If so, will this fill up the hole dense enough to when i go to drill the new hole it wont just fall back out of the old hole?

I have never used the rods. I suggest lots of practice before actual repair. These rods have been around a long time under different names and sellers.

I first saw this commercial on Sunday afternoon TV around 1999. This company named it Alumaloy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ5sD9hQTyw

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/08/21 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2boltmain
Originally Posted by mopower440

I have never used the rods. I suggest lots of practice before actual repair. These rods have been around a long time under different names and sellers.

I first saw this commercial on Sunday afternoon TV around 1999. This company named it Alumaloy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ5sD9hQTyw

I thougt about JB welding the hole the re-drilling and tapping a new hole, but figured that because the JB is so much softer than the carb aluminum, that the drill would just walk back over into the JB and follow the old hole..Surely these aluminum sticks would be arder than JB..?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/08/21 07:23 PM

I never tried it yet but good test video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIKsDfRAcs
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/09/21 04:46 AM

Back when I was in the Navy one of my duty stations was at an antenna overhaul shop. We had occasion to fix hole in the aluminum casting when corrosion ate them out. We used Devcon aluminum putty. A two part aluminum based epoxy, essentially. Once it set up we just redrilled and rehelicoiled the holes. It ought to work fine for you, not real cheap for just that one tiny hole you have though.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/09/21 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 3hundred

The above should work, if the offset screw isn't making contact, a nut on the end would increase the surface area.
You could even file/grind the nut to achieve the shape needed.
Posted By: Droop69

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/09/21 01:50 PM

Epoxy it up and re drill and tap it.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/09/21 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by BDW
Originally Posted by 3hundred

The above should work, if the offset screw isn't making contact, a nut on the end would increase the surface area.
You could even file/grind the nut to achieve the shape needed.

And, if the nut were to rub against the body of the carb, drill the hole on the right hand side of the boss. You can get another screw, put it in the original hole and cut it to fit flush so you have something to fill the hole and maintain strength in the boss.

On the new screw on the right hand hole you can use the nut. If the nut is too far away you can fit an over-sized piece of metal and tap it to fit the screw.

Something like this:

Attached picture 30.png
Posted By: moparx

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/10/21 07:55 PM

iagree ^^^^^^^ the above is a good repair in my opinion.
not hard to do, and parts required are super easy for most anyone to acquire.
beer
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Help an idiot fix a carb - 02/15/21 06:11 AM

Thanks! I should have been a Mechanical Engineer. work
© 2024 Moparts Forums