Moparts

Time from build date to delivery?

Posted By: LimeliteAero

Time from build date to delivery? - 02/06/21 10:21 PM

Anyone know how long it generally took to go from SPD to dealer delivery in 1970ish
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Time from build date to delivery? - 02/06/21 11:26 PM

The SPD is a hopeful date for production, some cars were built well before the SPD and some later than the SPD.

There are multiple examples out there of cars being built in an earlier or later month than their SPD.
Posted By: Suregrip391

Re: Time from build date to delivery? - 02/06/21 11:39 PM

My 67 GTX has a SPD and a Ship date of 1/31/67
Posted By: topside

Re: Time from build date to delivery? - 02/06/21 11:43 PM

That begs the question: how does one find out the actual build date ? (I've never looked into that.)

But as far as order/build/deliver, it was probably all over the place.
In early 1989, a buddy & I ordered identical cars from different dealers that were about 40 miles apart in SoCal.
Mine showed up on the truck 10 days before his.
Both were built at the same midwest plant.
I would think production controls and logistics were better in '89 than in '70.
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Time from build date to delivery? - 02/07/21 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA
The SPD is a hopeful date for production, some cars were built well before the SPD and some later than the SPD.

There are multiple examples out there of cars being built in an earlier or later month than their SPD.

My 69 RR had a B08 SPD, I took delivery on Nov 11 1968,a Monday. Was it built on Friday? Who knows,it could have been it's a St Louis car. It could have been transported over the week end and made the dealership easy.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Time from build date to delivery? - 02/07/21 03:27 AM

the typical range for Scheduled Production Date-to-Actual Production Date is anywhere from 2-weeks early to a month late (& it can exceed that on occasion)

Originally Posted by topside
That begs the question: how does one find out the actual build date ? (I've never looked into that.)

with a broadcast sheet I can determine when a car was actually on the assembly line for some of the more popular years & plants

the amount of time from order date-to-build date-to-delivery date can be all over the place - for any possible scenario one could imagine (parts availability, transportation, distance from plant, financing)

Re: Time from build date to delivery? - 02/07/21 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by pushbutton
My 69 RR had a B08 SPD, I took delivery on Nov 11 1968,a Monday. Was it built on Friday? Who knows,it could have been it's a St Louis car. It could have been transported over the week end and made the dealership easy.

do you have a broadcast sheet? I can tell you when it was being assembled

Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: Time from build date to delivery? - 02/07/21 12:12 PM

Can you give some insight to how you do this? Is it from collecting data on cars over the years, or some other data base. I am just curious in how your able to determine model and such from the partial vins.

Re: Time from build date to delivery? - 02/07/21 06:41 PM

Yes I have the broadcast sheet. What imfo do you need? I ordered the car and has "sold car" on the sheet.

Re: Time from build date to delivery? - 02/07/21 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by dragon slayer
Can you give some insight to how you do this? Is it from collecting data on cars over the years, or some other data base. I am just curious in how your able to determine model and such from the partial vins.

yes, from decades of collecting info - I'm a numbers "GEEK" & like to solve puzzles - I recently figured out the relationship between gate/base/sequence numbers on a Lynch Rd. tag
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Time from build date to delivery? - 02/07/21 08:20 PM

Just found out my 66 was built on 1/19/66 delivered on 1/25/66, at least that’s what’s on the card.?

Re: Time from build date to delivery? - 02/07/21 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Just found out my 66 was built (SCHEDULED) on 1/19/66 delivered (SHIPPED) on 1/25/66, at least that’s what’s on the card.?

the IBM "build record" cards show the SCHEDULED date not actual & the SHIPPED from factory date not the dealership delivery

Re: Time from build date to delivery? - 02/07/21 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by 6bblgt
Originally Posted by pushbutton

do you have a broadcast sheet? I can tell you when it was being assembled

I do and---
I would like to have this information.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Time from build date to delivery? - 02/08/21 12:45 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm going to assume it's safe to say a build code of B29 would logically be at the dealer for late January!
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Time from build date to delivery? - 02/08/21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by 6bblgt
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Just found out my 66 was built (SCHEDULED) on 1/19/66 delivered (SHIPPED) on 1/25/66, at least that’s what’s on the card.?

the IBM "build record" cards show the SCHEDULED date not actual & the SHIPPED from factory date not the dealership delivery

So we’ll never really know when all this occurred.
© 2024 Moparts Forums