Moparts

Who has good color recognition?

Posted By: six-pack-mopar

Who has good color recognition? - 01/22/21 02:21 AM

So how would you describe the slight color difference between a 1968 color code QQ1 electric blue poly and a 1969 B5 blue vs the 1969 B7 Jamaica blue. Seems the 68 QQ1 really grabs the eye for brightness and somehow falls between a B5 and the darker B7. What say you. You paint experts with good eyeballs?
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Who has good color recognition? - 01/22/21 03:25 AM

I have a QQ1 1968 Charger. I love the color. It seems to have a little turquoise in it to me. It is a metallic paint. Are the B5 and B7 paints metallic?
Posted By: topside

Re: Who has good color recognition? - 01/22/21 04:07 AM

Yes, '68 Q1 is towards the green side instead of the red side.
I don't have the formulas handy, but B5 appears whiter, and B7 blacker with maybe a bit of red.
All are metallic.
Q1 has been a favorite of mine since the '68s were new; and I've owned two:
A Hemi RR base coupe with silver & black interior
My current 383 base coupe with blue interior

Attached picture LtOct2020.jpg
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Who has good color recognition? - 01/22/21 04:36 AM

Plymouth called the 1968 "Q" paint code ELECTRIC BLUE METALLIC
...... don't know what they added to the paint, but the name fits!! drool
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Who has good color recognition? - 01/22/21 07:22 PM

I wouldve liked to see these cars new. It's hard to come up with differences when there are several paint suppliers each with their own color/base/tint variations. I don't trust/believe any paint today is capable of matching original paint!
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Who has good color recognition? - 01/22/21 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by LimeliteAero
I wouldve liked to see these cars new. It's hard to come up with differences when there are several paint suppliers each with their own color/base/tint variations. I don't trust/believe any paint today is capable of matching original paint!

Agreed. Sometimes I think trying to exactly match the original color is a fool's errand. If you can find something current that is very close, use it as a complete repaint and drive off into the sunset.
Posted By: topside

Re: Who has good color recognition? - 01/23/21 12:11 AM

I was lucky, I did see them new, visited the dealerships often. I was a total geek laugh2
Yes, the toners and chemical make-up are very different now, and it's very time-consuming & difficult to get an accurate match.
It depends on the paint mfr's library of toners, and sometimes you have to start with a more modern color and mess with the formula.
My current Q1 car took about 6 spray-out samples. Used Spies-Hecker BC/CC on it.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Who has good color recognition? - 01/23/21 12:29 AM

I have a 68 Dart GSS handy that was QQ1, and there are untouched areas under the dash and package tray that has a good representation of the paint color. Of course there is no way to take a picture of it that would show it well.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Who has good color recognition? - 01/23/21 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Originally Posted by LimeliteAero

Agreed. Sometimes I think trying to exactly match the original color is a fool's errand. If you can find something current that is very close, use it as a complete repaint and drive off into the sunset.

This is the best advice.
© 2024 Moparts Forums