Moparts

440 source intermediate shaft w/bronze gear

Posted By: mrob

440 source intermediate shaft w/bronze gear - 12/28/20 01:49 PM

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with the 440 Source bronze gear intermediate shaft? I need to replace mine and I'm just wondering how good this one is in comparison to the Milodon or MP ones.

Thanks

Link to 440 source bronze gear shaft: http://store.440source.com/Bronze-Gear-Intermediate-Shaft/productinfo/200-1085/
Posted By: GY3

Re: 440 source intermediate shaft w/bronze gear - 12/28/20 02:27 PM

Use the Crane melonized instead if you are changing out for a roller cam.

Re: 440 source intermediate shaft w/bronze gear - 12/28/20 04:09 PM

Hi GY3,

Thanks for the response, but I don't think that I can use the melonized gear because I've had the hydraulic roller cam in my motor for 6 years. As far as I know, you're supposed to use the melonized gear with a new cam. That's why I'm asking about my options for the bronze gears.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: 440 source intermediate shaft w/bronze gear - 12/28/20 04:32 PM

I don't have first hand knowledge of their part, but make sure you limit it's up and down travel with a distributor shaft collar. My bronze gear wear was dramatically reduced once I did that. I was going to try and have the part cryo treated by Hughes, but I switched cams and went with the melonized gear.

Attached picture 20200718_171815 (Large).jpg

Re: 440 source intermediate shaft w/bronze gear - 12/28/20 06:54 PM

Thanks, jbc. That's a very good idea.

If I remember correctly, a 1/2" ID shaft collar will work (like shown in your pic). Do you remember where you found yours?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: 440 source intermediate shaft w/bronze gear - 12/28/20 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by mrob
Thanks, jbc. That's a very good idea.

If I remember correctly, a 1/2" ID shaft collar will work (like shown in your pic). Do you remember where you found yours?

Ace Hardware and Tractor Supply have them
Posted By: LaRoy Engines

Re: 440 source intermediate shaft w/bronze gear - 12/29/20 07:28 PM

I haven't purchased the 440 Source bronze gear intermediate shafts for over 10 years now. My experience with them at that time has me buying the Mopar or Milodon ones now. Who knows....they may have been improved since then.

Re: 440 source intermediate shaft w/bronze gear - 12/29/20 09:11 PM

Thanks for the responses. Guess I'll be a guinea pig and order one. Hope it turns out to be a useable part.

Re: 440 source intermediate shaft w/bronze gear - 12/29/20 09:54 PM

As mentioned above, and at the other online hard parts suppliers as well. Be sure to disassemble and thoroughly clean the set screw and collar with brake or carb cleaner and loctite the screw. I also replaced and burnished the intermediate shaft bushing with the Mopar specific tool, lubed it with assembly lube and used a feeler gauge between the combined parts to position the collar once the distributor hold down was fully seated. I left the collar just snugged at first to allow it to slide to the proper position, and then fully tightened it. That allows enough room for oil to float the intermediate shaft gear on the top of the bushing.

Re: 440 source intermediate shaft w/bronze gear - 12/30/20 02:04 PM

Thanks for the detailed explanation jbc! One more question: which type of Loctite do you recommend? The high temp red or the high temp blue?

Re: 440 source intermediate shaft w/bronze gear - 12/30/20 05:09 PM

Loctite has somewhat recently come out with an orange loctite that holds like red, but removes easier, more like the blue. I have been using red lately and only one fastener was super hard to disassemble, but still doable. I'm going to buy some of the orange if I can find it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums