Moparts

AVS Carb parts ?

Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

AVS Carb parts ? - 12/22/20 02:38 PM

Anyone have a good suggestion for either a member or business that knows, and stocks parts for a AVS carb? I am not looking for someone to rebuild one for me, I just need to buy some parts.Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: AVS Carb parts ? - 12/22/20 03:27 PM

I'd put an ad in here/fabo or locally for a parts carb with the intact pieces you are after & if need be the eddy performer 2 step rods/primary jets can be used. All OE avs's are lean due to the discombobulated emission standards of that era that Ma & everybody else were scrambling to keep up with.
Posted By: topside

Re: AVS Carb parts ? - 12/22/20 03:36 PM

Couple of places I've used is Allstate Carbs in NY and a place called, IIRC, Quadrajetparts (oddly enough) - their link is on an AVS fitting thread here somewhere that was posted yesterday.
Edelbrock also has a lot of stuff, but there are some differences (linkage & inlet fitting) between their AVS and the old Carters.
Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: AVS Carb parts ? - 12/22/20 04:41 PM

What kind of parts? Venturis, Linkage, rods, or just the basic meter rods and jets? Ebay is a source, but if your after structural stuff, ebay or a person that restores carbs. Or buy a core off ebay.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: AVS Carb parts ? - 12/23/20 03:25 AM

What do you need? I've got a few extra carbs.

Re: AVS Carb parts ? - 12/23/20 03:35 PM

Thanks Jim

I was looking for tuning parts ( needles and jets) for a restoration engine ( with hotter cam and bowl blend) . The stock restored AVS, was killing the power by almost 60HP. We drilled some jets from another carb I had, changed some rods, picked up 60HP. We knew the carb was bad, as we tried a 650 Bo Laws carb, and the power went right back up. In the end, we just had to make our own stuff.

Thanks again for the offer,
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: AVS Carb parts ? - 12/23/20 04:47 PM

The Ede jets work fine in them, and if you use the flat style metering rod covers, you can use the 2 step Ede rods as well as their step up springs.
Posted By: bee1971

Re: AVS Carb parts ? - 12/23/20 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
The Ede jets work fine in them, and if you use the flat style metering rod covers, you can use the 2 step Ede rods as well as their step up springs.

This ^

No one will know the difference until you remove the air cleaner and they can see the flat metering rod covers

I made my own out of billet aluminum when Edelbrock wouldn’t sell the covers separately many moons ago

I think you can get them on EBay

Drill out the emulsion tubes for the idle circuit

If it came with the hot idle compensator just make your own solid gasket and reinstall

1971 4968 750cfm AVS HP 440 - What I was running on my numbers 383/432 Stroker that I built after I yanked off the smaller 6125 S 625cfm

.101 Primaries Jets and around .104 / .107 Secondaries Jets - Pink Edelbrock Springs

5/16" Float Level , the 440 HP carbs should have the larger floats (Factory Carter AVS Floats are hard to come by) and you can run the larger .110 needle and seats or .120 in the tuning kits

Man I loved that carb , still have it , right up until I put a Edelbrock 800 AVS 2 On

LOL

Posted By: bee1971

Re: AVS Carb parts ? - 12/23/20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by CompWedgeEngines
Thanks Jim

I was looking for tuning parts ( needles and jets) for a restoration engine ( with hotter cam and bowl blend) . The stock restored AVS, was killing the power by almost 60HP. We drilled some jets from another carb I had, changed some rods, picked up 60HP. We knew the carb was bad, as we tried a 650 Bo Laws carb, and the power went right back up. In the end, we just had to make our own stuff.

Thanks again for the offer,

What Factory # Carter AVS are you running ?

Re: AVS Carb parts ? - 12/25/20 02:24 AM

My EDE kits were 60 miles away.....lol
Posted By: 469runner

Re: AVS Carb parts ? - 12/26/20 10:59 PM

Jon Hardgrove, the owner of this business, purchased much old stock when the Carter Carburetor plant closed in St. Louis. https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: AVS Carb parts ? - 12/27/20 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 469runner
Jon Hardgrove, the owner of this business, purchased much old stock when the Carter Carburetor plant closed in St. Louis. https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/

I have several parts carbs
© 2024 Moparts Forums