Moparts

Removing poverty caps

Posted By: cdstl

Removing poverty caps - 12/20/20 03:10 PM

I'm having trouble getting a dog dish hub cap off of an 8" wide wheel without scratching the wheel. I've thought about bending an angle into a flat screw driver and see how that goes. The wheel/tire combination makes it really hard to approach the hub cap from the side even with the longest screw driver.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/20/20 03:14 PM

The subject has come up a few times before and there were several methods used by different members. I use a paint can lid removal tool with a little tape wrapped around the tab to remove my caps which works fine. They cost less than $2.

Attached picture 18EDF5A5-869A-4FF3-970F-F60DAFD1C2DC.jpeg
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/20/20 04:51 PM

Brake spoon. One end at ~90*, other at ~45*.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/20/20 05:16 PM

A reg hub cap tool used at most all tire places, has a spoon end that’s bent to a 90 degree angle and a rubber hammer head to knock it back on
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/20/20 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
A reg hub cap tool used at most all tire places, has a spoon end that’s bent to a 90 degree angle and a rubber hammer head to knock it back on

iagree
The rubber end goes against the wheel to help pry the caps off without chipping the paint up scope
The only way to go up wrench
Posted By: Neil

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/20/20 06:49 PM

Years ago member 340SIX(?) posted a picture of a small hole drilled on the back side of the hubcap that was out of view when installed. You were supposed to stick a small hook tool into the hole and use it to tug the hubcap off. I think it would work fine on a stainless cap, but not sure how an aluminum cap would hold up depending on how much force was required to pull it loose.
Posted By: cdstl

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/20/20 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mastershake340
The subject has come up a few times before and there were several methods used by different members. I use a paint can lid removal tool with a little tape wrapped around the tab to remove my caps which works fine. They cost less than $2.

Yeah, I’m sure that it has. I have several of those in my toolbox and never gave them a thought.

Thanks
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/21/20 01:27 AM

Plastic trim removal tool might work nicely as well. H.F. has a set for under 10 bux. I have this set and use it for quite a bit of things. https://www.harborfreight.com/trim-and-molding-tool-set-5-pc-64126.html
Posted By: TJP

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/21/20 01:34 AM

I've always used a brake spoon against an appropriately sized block of wood. beer
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/21/20 03:03 AM

If you use a ball peen hammer directly in the center they generally pop right off... hammer LOL
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/21/20 12:50 PM

round end of a 12" prybar, shop rag between bar and rim.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/21/20 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
If you use a ball peen hammer directly in the center they generally pop right off... hammer LOL

10 pound sledge works for me
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/21/20 02:56 PM

Here’s the ultimate tool I talked about, MAC tool

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/21/20 05:33 PM

i used to be able to just pull them off, but now my "slightly" older self lacks that capability............. laugh2
beer
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/22/20 02:12 AM

If they are that tight coming off, when you put them back on, be sure the the bumps on the wheels match up with the dips in the caps, or you will bend the caps beating them back on! Gene
Posted By: moparx

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/22/20 07:32 PM

funny you should mention that ! whistling
i guess "massaging" a few caps back into [a semblance of] shape helps a guy remember certain things...........
beer
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/22/20 10:25 PM

I like the larger one posted with rubber and partner shown above.
Restoring Stainless caps over the years has,shown a single hole drilled in them.
Not sure what year's did it but gave seen it on some and not other's.
I just know some have the hole and was,factory.
Here's a tool for single hole
VW did the same but 2 hole as well as other brands who did the same.
Just an example or two so you understand how easy it also works.
Have seen these for buck something the VW has 2 holes
Video of wire tool being used on a,VW

https://youtu.be/3OMqso7bOM8

Wire Tool
https://www.ebay.com/itm/263561492882

And a,Video we had a tool at the body shop we made like this too.
https://youtu.be/7PcmiL7AnMM
Posted By: crlush

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/22/20 11:38 PM

I used an old screwdriver bent like a hook and polished the end so it wouldn't scratch the paint and put some shrink tubing on the shaft where you pry on the wheel.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/23/20 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Neil
Years ago member 340SIX(?) posted a picture of a small hole drilled on the back side of the hubcap that was out of view when installed. You were supposed to stick a small hook tool into the hole and use it to tug the hubcap off. I think it would work fine on a stainless cap, but not sure how an aluminum cap would hold up depending on how much force was required to pull it loose.

Not sure if it was my pic or not I take too many pics,or so i am told.
I personally think the ones produced for Ma Mopar had a hole for drainage.
It did work well with the wire tool.
But would only do so with Stainless Steel Caps.
The tried and true tool with black rubber and bent spade is the go to with a,towel or tape.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/23/20 03:52 PM

I think the hubcap picture you put on here years ago was not yours, but it did show the small hole on the outside edge for the hook tool to go into.
Posted By: jeff968

Re: Removing poverty caps - 12/23/20 05:44 PM

I use the double (2) paint can openers. Works great.

Attached picture TA dog dish.jpg
Posted By: lemondana

Re: Removing poverty caps - 01/11/21 05:50 AM

Go to the hardware store and get one of those little crowbars. The last one I bought was a blue Vaughn brand. They're small, fit it the console or glovebox, and are always there. I also mark every wheel-one of the hubcap nubs, with a small Sharpie mark. If you pry right at the nub they come off a lot easier If you pry between the nubs you will be more likely to bend the back..
© 2024 Moparts Forums