Moparts

Engine Painting

Posted By: B5TA

Engine Painting - 10/24/20 10:36 PM

I had a lot of stuff hot tanked and stripped of paint,down to bare metal, valve covers, oil pan etc. So what do you recommend as far as primer, and any more updated suggestions for engine paint ?
Thanks Kevin
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Engine Painting - 10/24/20 11:41 PM

I use epoxy primer . I like SPI brand. Works well and much cheaper than PPG DP series. Then acrylic urethane.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Engine Painting - 10/25/20 03:46 AM

I use an acid-etchant like DuPont vari-prime on the bare metal components, then a Dupont single stage catalyzed enamel....never had a problem with lift or peel, cleanliness/prep of the bare metal components is prime importance

Mike
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Engine Painting - 10/25/20 03:34 PM

If you don’t have a spray gun/compressor deal, i have used , numerous times, SprayMax self etch primer , basecoat and glamour clear. It is a catalyst 2 part paint in a spray can. It is activated right before use. It is very expensive, but increadible. I have used it on 3 engines so far and after use for 2 years, they look shiney and brand new still.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Engine Painting - 10/25/20 04:11 PM

another way to paint if you don't have a proper air compressor is PREVAL sprayer.
they are just like a DIY spray bomb. there is a compressed air canister on top and a glass jar at the bottom where you add your own mixed paint. then the compressed part sprays out your paint just like a spray bomb. when you are done you clean it like a regular paint gun and it's ready to spray the next job.
i have used theses sprayers more times than i can count over the last 20 years and they work MUCH better than the average spray bomb. they are probably MUCH cheaper than spray bombs in the long run.
they are available at any quality hardware store. ALL of the major chains carry them in their paint department.

Preval spray system.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Engine Painting - 10/25/20 04:18 PM

If you want your orange to really pop like a just painted oem motor all the time before the orange coat hit it one time with industrial yellow. I did this by accident one time and loved the results and do it often now.

Re: Engine Painting - 10/25/20 04:38 PM

would you use the etch primer on block also ?
Potatoe, I like the idea of the yellow " base coat " first !
Thanks , Kevin
Posted By: topside

Re: Engine Painting - 10/25/20 05:27 PM

^^^ Yup. I etch-prime everything metal, and I have stuff out there 35 years old that hasn't peeled or lifte
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Engine Painting - 10/25/20 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by B5TA
would you use the etch primer on block also ?
Potatoe, I like the idea of the yellow " base coat " first !
Thanks , Kevin

I'll etch prime individual components after they have been stripped/cleaned to bare metal inside/out where required, then assemble the block/heads/intake if required/valve covers/exhaust manifolds/oil pan/water pump/etc/etc if being painted in an OEM build along with all other components required to be ENGINE COLOR, after assy, I'll then apply one coat of etch primer on the assembled engine to coat the block/heads and the previous etch primed components assembled in one new fresh coat, I wait one day to fully flash out/dry then apply a catalyzed acrylic single stage enamel
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Engine Painting - 10/25/20 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
If you want your orange to really pop like a just painted oem motor all the time before the orange coat hit it one time with industrial yellow. I did this by accident one time and loved the results and do it often now.

Agreed-- watched a paint guy who spent his life in the trade do this to a custom bike build, and the helmet to match. I could not believe the difference. It really was eye grabbing.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Engine Painting - 10/25/20 10:04 PM

I don't use primer on clean bare metal engine parts, cast or sheet metal. twocents
I'm a racer, not a show guy so plain old good grade and good quality high temp rattle can engine paint like VHT or any other good brand is my choice thumbs

Re: Engine Painting - 10/25/20 10:11 PM

Thanks Guys , that is what I needed to know. Appreciate the help ! Thanks , Kevin
Posted By: blaze

Re: Engine Painting - 10/25/20 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
A really light coat of yellow? or a heavy "finish" coat?
© 2024 Moparts Forums