Moparts

Disk brake conversion question

Posted By: 6PAX

Disk brake conversion question - 10/23/20 11:40 PM

Can 68-70 B/E-body disk brake assemblies (less the spindles) be installed on an A-body if using 73-76 A-body spindles?
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Disk brake conversion question - 10/23/20 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by 6PAX
Can 68-70 B/E-body disk brake assemblies (less the spindles) be installed on an A-body if using 73-76 A-body spindles?

nope
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Disk brake conversion question - 10/23/20 11:54 PM

No, you would have to use the B/E knuckles. Just bolt the whole assembly on there. Those brakes aren't as good as the '73+ brakes but they'll fit and work if that is all you have.
Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: Disk brake conversion question - 10/24/20 12:03 PM

There is no 68-70 B/E system. There is a 67-69 B body spindle, and there is a 70-72 B/E spindle. 67-69 B was a bendix system with different caliper and mount and rotor. 70-72 B/E used the Kelsey Hayes system single piston caliper, bracket and different size rotor.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Disk brake conversion question - 10/24/20 12:34 PM

Didn't at least some '70 E bodies have a 2 piston caliper? Seems like I ran into that years ago.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Disk brake conversion question - 10/24/20 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Didn't at least some '70 E bodies have a 2 piston caliper? Seems like I ran into that years ago.

No, all 70-74 E body used the single piston 2 pin caliper.... Dragon Slayer gave you the appropriate year applications above your last post...

FYI, the 73-4 E body rotors use the larger inner rear bearing and 1 pc rotors, as do all 73 up disc applications, the 70-72 E/B spindles/rotors use the smaller inner rear bearing and 2 pc rotor, hence 2 E body spindles, the 73 and up B body spindle is the "tall" spindle, similar to the F/M/J body slider caliper spindle....

Mike

Re: Disk brake conversion question - 10/26/20 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF

No, you would have to use the B/E knuckles. Just bolt the whole assembly on there. Those brakes aren't as good as the '73+ brakes but they'll fit and work if that is all you have.

Ok, so if I use the B-body assemblies including the B-body spindles, will there be any issues regarding the upper or lower control arms? These would be going on a 70 Dart which currently has sbp disks.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Disk brake conversion question - 10/26/20 06:25 PM

https://www.moparaction.com/2016/03/16/disc-main/

Re: Disk brake conversion question - 10/26/20 06:30 PM

Ok, so if I use the B-body assemblies including the B-body spindles, will there be any issues regarding the upper or lower control arms? These would be going on a 70 Dart which currently has sbp disks.

Yes there will be an issue with the upper control arm, the ball joint is too small on a '70.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Disk brake conversion question - 10/26/20 09:25 PM

Get yourself the 1973 V8 and up A body spindles, brakes and A arm and lower control arm, rotor with the 4.5 inch bolt pattern hub, and bolt it in and go stop better up scope
I did that to my 1971 Duster street and strip, it stopped fine in the 1/4 mile running 134.+ MPH weighing 3450 Lbs. with me in that car up
I used all the parts from a 1974 318 Duster with those stock disc brakes up wrench
I think the 1973 6 cylinder cars still had the small 4.0 inch bolt pattern them, Mopar drop them, the 4.0 bolt pattern, in 1974 is what i was told on here about them in 2002 or so when I built that car shruggy
I did mount the brake caliper so it was mounted behind the spindle by reversing the spindles from the right side to the left and vise a versus, it aligned fine and stop great with that change up scope That help move some of the weight back towards the rear of the car helping traction without being seen devil up
Posted By: moparx

Re: Disk brake conversion question - 10/27/20 03:35 PM

[quote=AndyF][quote=6PAX]

Yes there will be an issue with the upper control arm, the ball joint is too small on a '70.

dr. diff has ball joint adapters that will allow the small ball joint to fit the B-body spindle.
i used these on my buddy's 72 duster and they worked great !
beer

Re: Disk brake conversion question - 10/27/20 09:18 PM

That is one solution.

Re: Disk brake conversion question - 10/28/20 12:59 AM

If I use 73-up A-body upper control arms, will that do the trick?

Re: Disk brake conversion question - 10/28/20 02:36 AM

Yes, that is another option.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Disk brake conversion question - 10/28/20 04:56 PM

i forgot to say, the reason i/my buddy went with the upper ball joint adapters, was the upper arms came with new bushings and ball joints already installed.
if your upper arms need any parts, just replace the arms with the newer style and be done.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums