Moparts

A727TF Kickdown, Part 2

Posted By: moparjack44

A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/14/20 12:47 PM

Well after tweaking, adjusting, some cussing, lotta praying, lotta help from y'all I think I finally gotter done. Shifting is where I want it and kickdown working correctly. Still have the Lokar set up, but I want to replace it with the Buchillon kit I have. Anyone willing to offer help, or pictures (especially pictures), I would be grateful. MOST of all, I appreciate y'all patience with me. I know I ask a lot of stupid questions.
All though several have offered instructions on how to post pictures, I have not figured it out. What seems simple to you that know how, isn't simple to me. I never had any computer training, hell when I graduated high school (1962), computer was not even a word. No college, just work, and military for us poor, and now old folk. violin
Again, thanks for your help and patience.

Jack
K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

[/b]PS[b], I'm working on a Hot Rod, it's not a Muscle Car.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/14/20 04:31 PM

You would do well to contact Bouchillon since your configuration isn't a common one.

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/17/20 01:11 AM

Yea,John, that is the plan.
Posted By: BDW

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/17/20 01:48 AM

If you can figure out a way to post pics, this shouldn’t be too hard.
Just need the right adapter to hook up to your carb linkage.
Posted By: HemiSportFury

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/17/20 04:05 PM

If you can't figure out how to post a picture PM me and I will give you my email address so you can email it to me and I will post for you.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/18/20 04:52 AM

do you have the 1 piece or 3 piece set up?

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/21/20 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by AARCONV
do you have the 1 piece or 3 piece set up?

3 piece.

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/30/20 03:48 PM

Posting pictures of attachment points for Moparjack44. Hopefully these will help, although a better picture of the trans attachment point would be helpful. He is still looking for advice.

Attached picture 20201010_144020_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20201010_144437_resized.jpg

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/30/20 03:53 PM

Sorry about the first picture being sideways, but I think you can still see how/where it attaches. It's hard to gauge the scale in the two pictures but it looks like the carb attachment point is much closer to the pivot point than the one at the trans. That would account for the different stroke lengths and cause the problem, correct?
Posted By: moparx

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/30/20 04:57 PM

it also looks like the lokar kit is being used.
in my opinion, those are junk. i have changed many of those setups over to the bouchillion kits, as well as changing to mechanical factory type linkage.
also, there are several throttle pressure levers used over the years and applications. this means you still have to figure out the correct leverage ratio.
you can also drill a different hole closer to the pivot point if necessary.
a couple of times i was able to get the lokar kits to "function", but it was still not right. that lasted until the cable stretched, or the brakets bent, then it was back to the beginning.
i heartily recommend changing that setup out to something else as mentioned above.
beer

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/30/20 05:45 PM

Hopefully with these pictures someone will be able to tell him what adapters he needs for the carb and/or the trans throttle lever.

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/30/20 08:07 PM

Here's the pic right side up. The cable attach point appears to be not enough below the throttle shaft to produced much cable travel. The trans lever is a cobbled together POS.

Attached picture untitled.png

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/30/20 11:55 PM

Thought you bought the Boucillion set-up?
Ditch that Lokar mess and use the Boucillion.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/31/20 02:23 PM

I have a couple of pictures but they're too big to post frown

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/31/20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by 71rm23
I have a couple of pictures but they're too big to post frown
Just edit them and crop just a little then resave. That should reduce the file size enough.

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/31/20 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by BDW

With that orphan throttle lever the Bouchillon setup won't be a bolt on, that's why I advised contacting them.

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 10/31/20 11:08 PM

I would bolt a flat piece of metal to that existing bracket, then you’ll be able to find the right spot to add a stud for the Bouchillion cable.

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 11/01/20 10:37 PM

You have problems at both ends. As suggested above, contact Bouhillon to see if they can provide you an adapter for the carb end and a kickdown lever. If not, you will have to improvise something. Fab something on the carb linkage to move the attachment point further from the pivot point. This will give you more travel for the cable. I would try to find a stock unmodified kickdown lever and go from there. Try to match the travel distance at both attachment points. Good luck!

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 11/02/20 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by BDW

Yes, I do have the Boucillion kit.
Got side tracked with a misfiring/popping issue. Replaced cap, rotor, coil in my MSD ready to run distributor. No change, still bad misfire and popping. Replaced wires and plugs, no help. Installed new MSD ready to run distributor, finally fixed that problem (about $700 later). Will be contacting Boucillion to help me with their kit installation. If anyone willing to share pictures of their installed kit, would be helpful.
I did get the Lokar kickdown working, plus good shift changes, but I don't like it. I want to replace it with the Bouicillion.kit.

Jack
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 11/03/20 02:06 PM

Can't you just use a factory unit? I have modified 2 after fighting with a POS Lokar system.

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 11/03/20 04:05 PM

I think I got my pictures to resize right. Anyway, this is my set up

Attached picture 20170809_180857 (2).jpg
Attached picture 20170809_180901 (2).jpg

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 11/09/20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 71rm23
I think I got my pictures to resize right. Anyway, this is my set up

Thank You 71rm23. Good clear picture, I am sure I can use. My kit came with the "special carb bracket" they say I need. I see that same bracket on you set up.
Well keep you posted. Again, Thanks.

Jack

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 11/09/20 03:32 PM

71rm23, I am a little confused about your return spring set up? Is that because you are using Quick Fuel carb? Springs also look strong??

Jack
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 11/12/20 03:40 AM

Hmm...everyone it seems beats up on the Lokar (or the knock-off) setups, yet I cannot for the life of me understand why?

It has a practially never-ending ability to be adjusted to how you need it in order to mesh-up to your particular setup/configuration.

Here are a couple of pics of my setup: yes the 9800 TQ is the aftermarket one, so the throttle hookup did NOT require me to run the Mopar adapter (but if you need that, well, oh boy, there is about a $10 part that does that for you), and the transmission level needed a bit of an adjustment (measured the stock center-to-center lengths and replicated with some additional provisions for adjusting it my way).

Anyways, the Buchillon setup is certainly ore stock-appearing, but it uses the very same principle the Lokar stuff does. There is no denying it is well thought out and gives you the additional adjustability that the Lokar kit as-supplied brackets do not...however, it's really just a different shape of the same animal...so what am I missing here? Sorry, I never understood this whole difficulty.

Attached picture MOPAR_Lokar_knockoff_setup_carb.jpg
Attached picture MOPAR_Lokar_knockoff_setup_trans.jpg
Posted By: racerx20

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 11/12/20 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Diplomat360
Hmm...everyone it seems beats up on the Lokar (or the knock-off) setups, yet I cannot for the life of me understand why?

It has a practially never-ending ability to be adjusted to how you need it in order to mesh-up to your particular setup/configuration.

Here are a couple of pics of my setup: yes the 9800 TQ is the aftermarket one, so the throttle hookup did NOT require me to run the Mopar adapter (but if you need that, well, oh boy, there is about a $10 part that does that for you), and the transmission level needed a bit of an adjustment (measured the stock center-to-center lengths and replicated with some additional provisions for adjusting it my way).

Anyways, the Buchillon setup is certainly ore stock-appearing, but it uses the very same principle the Lokar stuff does. There is no denying it is well thought out and gives you the additional adjustability that the Lokar kit as-supplied brackets do not...however, it's really just a different shape of the same animal...so what am I missing here? Sorry, I never understood this whole difficulty.

I agree, I used both setups on my 408 Dart. I preferred the Lokar setup and it performed better for me.

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 11/12/20 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Diplomat360

Because the Lokar instructions only work correctly with a certain combo of carb/trans lever. In many combos the trans shifts late at light throttle or not at all at WOT. Yes, lots of people are satisfied with the Lokar because they matched the components correctly or, even if they didn't, the final result is fine with them.

Anyways, the Buchillon setup is certainly more stock-appearing, but it uses the very same principle the Lokar stuff does.

Yes the same principle but not the same function. The Bouchillon matches the components for precise operation and the components are more stout.

Re: A727TF Kickdown, Part 2 - 11/13/20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by moparjack44
71rm23, I am a little confused about your return spring set up? Is that because you are using Quick Fuel carb? Springs also look strong??

Jack

If my memory is correct, I think yes to both of your questions. It looks strong but I don't notice it much, if any, compared to others. The bracketry that comes with it works with it all and no issues
© 2024 Moparts Forums