Moparts

Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker.

Posted By: 74RALLYE

Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/13/20 03:24 PM

My father has a 94 Jeep GC and blew a tire in another state. He had a tire put on that wasn't the exact same size as the other. After a few months the front diff. started acting like a locked differential. Low speed turning on pavement is ugly. Any ideas about what I should look for when I open it up?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/13/20 04:03 PM

I don't think you will have any problem seeing what went wrong when you open it up.

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/13/20 05:14 PM

Would burned up spider gears be the only thing that would cause the axle to act like a locker? I was guessing that someone else had seen what happens from a wrong size tire and if they were able to fix it without replacing the diff.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/13/20 06:13 PM

You most likely will get away with rebuilding the one you have. Dr diff could give you a better answer.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/13/20 08:29 PM

What transfer case? My bets the viscous coupler is bad.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/13/20 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN
What transfer case? My bets the viscous coupler is bad.

This

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/13/20 10:36 PM

I don't know which transfer case it has other than stock.
I get it, like leaving my manual trans truck in 4WD on pavement.
How would I test it's coupling?

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/14/20 12:27 AM

Take the time to identify what case you have first. On the case there is a round tag that will have the model number stamped on it.

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/14/20 05:55 PM

The transfer case is a NP 249 J. I also picked up the 1994 factory service manual today!

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/14/20 06:11 PM

Here's a pic of the tag. It's a 249 case. I just noticed some yellow paint in the corner of the pic. Might be a junk yard swap from the previous owner.
How can I test the viscous coupling? It looks like a $500 part so swapping the whole thing will be cheaper if that's the problem.

Attached picture IMG_20201014_134813169.jpg
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/14/20 07:08 PM

We need Scott Smith to ID that cocoon thing.

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/14/20 08:24 PM

There is no real test that I am aware of that conclusively pinpoints it to the viscous coupler. For the most part it is the symptoms. The hotter it gets the worse it gets. Binding on turns especially if you drive in figure 8's at a parking lot. The tires will bind and chirp. Depending on miles a used one may not be much better. For sure these type transfer cases need 4 tires identical in make and size.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/15/20 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
We need Scott Smith to ID that cocoon thing.

kinda looks like a mud wasp nest.
beer
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/16/20 01:31 PM

You can pull the front shaft, if that fixes the problem then you can count on it being the t-case.

I don't think its good for them but they can be driven without the front shaft. I know when I used to follow the jeep stuff closer the 5.9L grand Cherokee guys would do this so they could do burnouts lol.

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/17/20 01:38 PM

Thanks everyone. I was thinking it was the diff. and hadn't considered the transfer case. A trip to the junkyard is in order.
Posted By: 440_Offroader

Re: Jeep GC front axle turned it's self into a locker. - 10/17/20 03:53 PM

I guess you could always pull the rear driveshaft and see if it still does it. If it still does it, it would be the front end. Easier yet, just jack up the front and try rotating one wheel. The other side should rotate in the opposite direction pretty easy.
© 2024 Moparts Forums