Moparts

Do poly bushings squeak?

Posted By: hp383

Do poly bushings squeak? - 10/12/20 08:32 PM

I am finally (4 years later) going to have the funds to get the front suspension addressed on the Dakota.

I am getting the upper and lower A arm bushings changed, new ball joints installed, new springs, and shocks up front.

I was given a set of poly bushings and sway bar end links as a gift.

Years (many, many) ago I recall that poly bushings had a tendency to have an annoying squeak. Is that still true today?

The bushing kit comes with several packets of bushing lube.

My hope is that newer technology, and the lube will prevent the bushings from squeaking.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Do poly bushings squeek? - 10/12/20 08:58 PM

I've installed nothing but Poly/delrin/nylon bushing in my toys/DD or customer's vehicles for the last 3+ decades, and learned the hard way to avoid squeaks, don't tighten components until at ride height, use the mfg recommended lubrication, never use petroleum based lubricant during install or usage, follow the mfg's recommendations if your not sure of install procedure...

Mike
Posted By: hp383

Re: Do poly bushings squeek? - 10/12/20 09:18 PM

Thank you for that.

I have the mfg lube, and will be sure the shop doesn't tighten everything up until its at ride height.

Shouldn't be too difficult for them since it will be getting an alignment at the same time and they have a nice new alignment lift.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Do poly bushings squeek? - 10/13/20 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
I've installed nothing but Poly/delrin/nylon bushing in my toys/DD or customer's vehicles for the last 3+ decades, and learned the hard way to avoid squeaks, don't tighten components until at ride height, use the mfg recommended lubrication, never use petroleum based lubricant during install or usage, follow the mfg's recommendations if your not sure of install procedure...

Mike

iagree
And will add I buy the lube in small tubs and use it liberally. Once everything is done, go back and clean up any residual lube. The stuff is nasty as it sticks to anything it touches.
Brake clean, carb clean or acetone works well but be careful on painted areas especially with the last 2 beer
Posted By: RalphsRapidTrnst

Re: Do poly bushings squeek? - 10/13/20 12:50 AM

Yes! I use them on my Stock Appearing Racers. They all squeek.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Do poly bushings squeek? - 10/14/20 12:02 AM

I have them everywhere in the front end of my '89 Diplomat, installed by professional mechanic. I recall lube coming with some of the bushings (some were from firmfeel, some from other suppliers). Can't say what method mechanic used in when he torqued hardware.

I have zero squeaking and it's been thousands of miles.

Now it probably does make a difference in the geometry of the suspension shruggy
Posted By: Brewzer67

Re: Do poly bushings squeek? - 10/14/20 07:44 PM

I have always used the Mobil1 synthetic grease and have not had any squeaks. Additionally, I have not seen any breakdown of the bushings over the years. I added my PST Poly Graphites in 1994 so if there were going to be some ill effects I would think they would have surfaced by now.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Do poly bushings squeak? - 10/15/20 12:00 AM

IMHO they only squeak if you DON'T follow the instructions, and fail to use the lube properly.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Do poly bushings squeak? - 10/15/20 10:49 AM

I just used poly on my LCAs... I never advertised any squeak. Sure I used the lube grease coming with them. But also learnt use just poly on LCA is wrong. Needs to be accomplished with poly also on strut rod bushings, because the rubber bushing on strut roads will alow the LCA to slide in and out along the bushing. My rubber strut rod bushing got compressed A LOT allmos to failure. I'm going back to rubber. on bottom now and will use just the poly bushings on UCAs, because I didn't use those from the kit way back.
© 2024 Moparts Forums