Moparts

Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used

Posted By: vinnyd76

Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 10:09 AM

Looking for feedback from the forum on the proper way to store (in the mid-west) an engine after complete rebuild. The Mopar engine is rebuilt/reassembled from the intake to the oil pan. There are no exhaust manifolds installed on the engine assembly. The storage facility is insulated, but not continuously heated.

Engine oil is in the motor. Would you manually turn the engine over with a breaker bar by the damper bolt?

Would you spray anything down the spark plug holes (e.g. Sea-Foam, WD-40, etc...)? Spark plugs are loose installed.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 11:14 AM

I would tape off any openings.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 12:55 PM

I spray WD40 into the cylinders every few months when I turn it over. I also prime the motor every now and then. The engine is then wrapped back up in a mattress bag and its tied up to keep dirt and moisture out.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 02:32 PM

This is what I am using. I don't know how well it works as I haven't installed the motor yet.

Engine Fogging Spray
Posted By: wingman

Re: Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
This is what I am using. I don't know how well it works as I haven't installed the motor yet.

Engine Fogging Spray

You'll want to fog any bare cast iron or steel for sure. The temperature and humidity swings as the weather changes will cause the cold metal to sweat and condensation to form--this will be one of your biggest issues.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 04:37 PM

You might also consider these:

https://www.amazon.com/Plug-Dri-Dehumidifier-Desiccant-Plug-Storage/dp/B017ZAR6UY

Re: Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 04:40 PM

Thank you to everyone for the feedback thus far.

I actually purchased some STA-BIL fogging oil the other day, but wanted to ask the forum for input on proper storage.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 05:19 PM

How long are you storing it? I hate to see a freshly machined and assembled motor just sitting around.

I like the desiccant that John pointed out. Wonder if they make something like that for in the motor, like maybe through the distributor opening. I use DampRid (desiccant) in the engine compartment of my boats when storing for winter. It works.

I think fogging oil is normally used when the motor is running but probably through the plug holes would be good too. .

WD 40 is more like a solvent than a oil. I'd consider something else for longer term storage.
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 05:34 PM

If it's going to be a few months or more, I fog the cylinders (as mentioned) and I loosen the rocker shafts to unload the valves so that the bores are not exposed to the atmosphere. Tape up all orifices and leave yourself a note, attached to the motor, as to what's loose and so on.
Posted By: fury4speed

Re: Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 05:58 PM

I would also take any pressure off of the valve springs so they are not under load for a long time from sitting
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 06:12 PM

If you are going to store a machined engine for a period of time then it needs to be put in a heated area. If the storage area is unheated then it will rust.

Re: Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by BSB67
How long are you storing it? I hate to see a freshly machined and assembled motor just sitting around.

I like the desiccant that John pointed out. Wonder if they make something like that for in the motor, like maybe through the distributor opening. I use DampRid (desiccant) in the engine compartment of my boats when storing for winter. It works.

I think fogging oil is normally used when the motor is running but probably through the plug holes would be good too. .

WD 40 is more like a solvent than a oil. I'd consider something else for longer term storage.

Storage timeframe is about 6-months to a year.
Posted By: topside

Re: Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 08:18 PM

Has it been broken in ? I'd prefer that before storing it.
I'd fog the cylinders, pre-oil it, and then from time to time turn it over (breaker bar).
Turning it over will require some pre-oiling though.
A cheap 12V transfer pump that cycles the oil from the pan into an oil pressure port works.
But if it's never been run, I'd worry about the cam/lifter interface, especially if it has stout valve springs.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
If you are going to store a machined engine for a period of time then it needs to be put in a heated area. If the storage area is unheated then it will rust.

This. Been there. Sickening.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Proper ways to store an engine that is not being used - 10/12/20 09:58 PM

Go to Aircraft Spruce web site, they have a pickling oil.
© 2024 Moparts Forums