Moparts

Fluidampr (viscous damper)

Posted By: Moe

Fluidampr (viscous damper) - 09/01/20 01:21 AM

On another message board a member writes"A lot of engine builders will not run the fluidampr, they say they can crack a crank"

Is this true......or BS??
Posted By: markz528

Re: Fluidampr (viscous damper) - 09/01/20 01:31 AM

BS I ran 2 for years with zero issues - one at 800 hp. Bearings were always fine.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Fluidampr (viscous damper) - 09/01/20 02:59 AM

Lots of people run Fluidamprs without any issue. I've run them on multiple race engines without causing any issues. These days I prefer to use an ATI balance but only because the ATI has more options for fitment than the Fluidampr. If you search the race section you'll find that a lot of guys have run a Fluidampr on their race engines without any issues.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Fluidampr (viscous damper) - 09/01/20 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Moe
On another message board a member writes"A lot of engine builders will not run the fluidampr, they say they can crack a crank"

Is this true......or BS??

True, as in every dampner can break a crank under the right conditions. So the real question should be, is the fluidampner you have chosen the right/best solution for your application.
It is a "BS" statement you have shared from the other board in that it omits a lot of important details.
Posted By: Moe

Re: Fluidampr (viscous damper) - 09/01/20 02:02 PM

Thanks Guys.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Fluidampr (viscous damper) - 09/02/20 05:32 AM

I remembering hearing in the early 1990s that the racing fluid dampeners, all brands, would break crankshaft when the motors were revved up above 5000 RPM with the outside air temps near freezing if the owner didn't let the motor run for at least 5 to 8 minutes to warm the fluid up in the dampeners. Back then we did not have the communications like we have today so maybe that rumors was just that, a made up rumor shruggy
Big diesel engines have used them for a long, long time in all kinds of applications with no big failures on their cranks that have been reported in all kinds of climates and job applications work
Posted By: dvw

Re: Fluidampr (viscous damper) - 09/02/20 10:27 PM

I run a fluid dampner on mine. 700 passes and counting on my 572. runs over 7000 rpm. Bearings always have looked good.
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums