Moparts

steering column help

Posted By: BattleCruiser71

steering column help - 03/29/09 02:48 AM

I'm replacing the ignition switch and lock cylinder on my 71 Charger, it's column shift, non-tilt. How am I supposed to get the bearing housing off of the steering shaft? The manual calls for tool C4044, but I've never seen anything like it, and the standard U-shaped steering plate removal tool won't even thread onto the end of the shaft. What can I do? nobody seems to even know what I'm talking about, does anybody replace their worn out old key cylinders?
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: steering column help - 03/29/09 03:07 AM

C-4044 sometimes shows up on eBay.

Re: steering column help - 03/29/09 03:13 AM

thanks for the pic, at least I know it exists! Nothing on E bay or google search at the moment. are there any alternatives?

Re: steering column help - 03/29/09 03:48 AM

I sent you a PM.
Ask about C-4113.

Attached picture 5126360-C-4113PinRemover.jpg

Re: steering column help - 03/29/09 03:58 AM

looks like my best hope. I'd think more people would have or know about this stuff, with as many cars having 40 year old ignition switches, worn out keys, mismatched locks and worse, I've not been able to find info or knowledgeable people. thanks again!
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: steering column help - 03/29/09 04:30 AM

Once you pull the snap ring off the top of the steering column bearing, and all the screws are out, and the directional wiring is disconnected and pulled through the crescent shaped opening, you should be able to wiggle it loose, or gently pry it up with two small screwdrivers at 180 degrees to each other. No special tools needed. Then remove the collar around the steering interlock plate, drive out the roll pin from the center shaft, and the interlock plate should pop off. The key switch is right there. Pull the key out of the ignition, press down on the key housing locking dog, and push the lock cylinder out. Undo the screws for the electrical part of the switch, and the microswitch, unplug the 7 pin harness, and out it comes.

Re: steering column help - 03/29/09 05:32 AM

1970 E BODY PS 4 SPEED STEERING COLUMN
© 2024 Moparts Forums