Moparts

Dana Axles with sealed bearings

Posted By: Mopar_Mike

Dana Axles with sealed bearings - 08/08/20 02:57 PM

I am putting my 67 Dana 60 back together and using sealed pressed on bearings on the axles. Do I still need to worry about axle play and adjustment? Thanks
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Dana Axles with sealed bearings - 08/08/20 03:48 PM

Have you removed the end play adjuster from the posi unit ?
If not I would and go from there wrench
You do not want the axles to have any preload on them with both axles installed in the housing with either type of the "green ball bearing type" axle bearings tsk
So yes you should have a small amount of end play, say from .003 to .015 scope

Re: Dana Axles with sealed bearings - 08/08/20 04:54 PM

Not sure.. not sure it was and not sure where it is?

Attached picture 2903DC0A-C033-494E-BF86-0AA2787FAAC2.jpeg

Re: Dana Axles with sealed bearings - 08/08/20 05:07 PM

I have both axles out the original bearings were replaced with the sealed green style I want to put the axles back in but not sure about those thrust washers? I’m reading eight and three-quarter and Dana have different length ones which can cause end play problems but I don’t see any in this rear end so I’m thinking I’ll have all sorts of problems if I just put the axles in and bolt them in. I got the Dana With the car but it was out and although the axles where installed I wanted to pull them and make sure everything was ok. I’m pretty sure this was done before I got it as the bearings are new but I know the car/rear wasn’t in use
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Dana Axles with sealed bearings - 08/08/20 07:19 PM

If the Green bearings have a snap ring (MO-400), they can be installed with no other modifications. If the bearings have an attached flange, maybe not.

Re: Dana Axles with sealed bearings - 08/08/20 07:29 PM

The adjuster is off the RH axle, Cab had me confused about an adjustment on the center section? Cab, do you mean the thrust block? If I can see clear from one end to and through the other end of the housing there should be no thrust block there? correct?

Re: Dana Axles with sealed bearings - 08/08/20 07:42 PM

All the early Mopar posi rear ends, pre mid 1969 8 3/4 ,and all the Dana 60 Mopar posi rear ends I've seen have seen had a pair of plugs, slugs( I don't know the proper name for them blush) in the center of the cross shafts that was used to set the end play on the axles .Thrust blocks sounds correct, I'm going to ASSUME yours are missing now so you MAY be good luck

Re: Dana Axles with sealed bearings - 08/08/20 08:27 PM

We are on the same page Cab, thanks. Although something is definitely wrong though.. I put gasket, backing plate, white foam gasket and then axle with retaining plate tightened all five nuts. Have about 1/4" plus play on both sides and also was able to just pull the axle right out..
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Dana Axles with sealed bearings - 08/08/20 09:00 PM

Are you saying you can pull the axle out of the bearing or the axle with bearing? There is a snap ring around the bearing that the retaining plate contacts to keep the bearing in place, is it there?.

Attached picture Green bearing 3.jpg

Re: Dana Axles with sealed bearings - 08/08/20 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar_Mike
We are on the same page Cab, thanks. Although something is definitely wrong though.. I put gasket, backing plate, white foam gasket and then axle with retaining plate tightened all five nuts. Have about 1/4" plus play on both sides and also was able to just pull the axle right out..

Sounds like the axle bearings you got are not the proper O.D. for your retaining plates and the axle housing work scope

Re: Dana Axles with sealed bearings - 08/08/20 09:19 PM

Ah ha! Yes John, there isn’t a snap ring around the bearing. So the axle with the bearing attached just pulls through the retainer. Thanks for the pic

Re: Dana Axles with sealed bearings - 08/08/20 09:36 PM

Now, any idea where I can get two? Lol

Re: Dana Axles with sealed bearings - 08/09/20 03:15 AM

Call Cass at Dr. Diff. He owns and operates Quality Body Shop. 406-883-4772 scope
© 2024 Moparts Forums