Moparts

Clutch set for the street ?

Posted By: mopar4ya

Clutch set for the street ? - 08/03/20 11:57 PM

I need to purchase a clutch kit to put behind a 493 CI engine in a 70 B body. What is a good set up for the street that will handle the torque, but don't want to get into any kind of a dual disc set up. Too many choices these days, don't want to make the wrong one.

Thanks!
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Clutch set for the street ? - 08/04/20 01:44 AM

If it's very hilly where you live a dual friction won't like it.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Clutch set for the street ? - 08/04/20 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by mopar4ya
I need to purchase a clutch kit to put behind a 493 CI engine in a 70 B body. What is a good set up for the street that will handle the torque, but don't want to get into any kind of a dual disc set up. Too many choices these days, don't want to make the wrong one.

Thanks!

Why opposed to dual disc? I was in a similar situation a few years back. Guy at McLeod told me to get the dual disc. Its the last clutch I would need. It was behind a 12:1 compresion 440 6 pak and I removed it to put behind my 472 Hemi about three years ago. It looked like new (only had a few thousand miles on it behind the 440). So I reused it.
Clutch pedal isn't what I would call overly stiff, but it is a bit grabby. I am not a fan replacing clutches so I spend the money and get what will hold up and last. It may have something to do with dropping an A-883 on my finger and taking the tip of my finger off first time I replaced a clutch in my 383 Road Runner. But, hey, everyone has to have something that incentives them.
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Clutch set for the street ? - 08/04/20 01:21 PM

I live in the same area as you. I also run a 493 B Body. I have run a Centerforce Dual friction for many years, and still do with no issues. Real easy on the leg and holds real good.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Clutch set for the street ? - 08/04/20 01:25 PM

I agree CF dual friction.Mine is on my 600Hp 440 and has lived for years.Still hooks like new low pedal pressure etc.Just have to try to break it in as per instructions.Had a MC Cleod for years was good but the heavy pressure was a killer.Rocky
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Clutch set for the street ? - 08/04/20 04:51 PM

Another vote for the Centerforce Dual Friction. I used McCloids and Webers for years but will only go Centerforce now.
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: Clutch set for the street ? - 08/04/20 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ramrod39
Another vote for the Centerforce Dual Friction. I used McCloids and Webers for years but will only go Centerforce now.

I love my mcleod dual disc clutch, Easy on the leg, doesn't chatter. For a couple hundred more bucks I don't have to worry about my Hemi driving through it.
Posted By: mopar4ya

Re: Clutch set for the street ? - 08/05/20 12:00 AM

Thanks, just the information I am looking for. As far as using a twin disc, I feel is over kill for what I intend to do. Also, from what I see there is anywhere from around $800 and up difference between a dual friction and a dual disc. I need to make a decision in the next day or so, feel free to keep the replies coming.
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: Clutch set for the street ? - 08/05/20 12:38 PM

My dual disc through brewers cost $752.00 I am assuming a centerforce is around 500, I guess you can make the call.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.php?prod=MC6913-05
Posted By: TJP

Re: Clutch set for the street ? - 08/06/20 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ramrod39

And another twocents beer
Posted By: parksr5

Re: Clutch set for the street ? - 08/06/20 12:37 AM

I'll add another vote for the Centerforce Dual Friction.

I have one in my Cobra now and have had one in two other cars.

All of them are have been installed and forgotten, I've never had to replace one. I have around 25k miles on the one that I put in my Cobra. A little heavier than a stock clutch but, very light compared to other high performance clutches. My Cobra is an every day driver so; traffic, drive throughs, vacations, etc. Very easy to drive.
© 2024 Moparts Forums