Moparts

Torque converter help

Posted By: 426lloyd

Torque converter help - 07/31/20 11:11 PM

Installing new converter into 727 and measurement is 1-1/8 from ring gear to bellhousing at the bottom , old converter measures 1-1/4 can't get the new one in any further , should that cause a problem being 1/8 out , want to be sure before putting in and have to take it back out .
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Torque converter help - 07/31/20 11:20 PM

Another measurement used is making sure after klunking far enough back, that if you placed a straightedge across face of bell-trans housing, then measured back to face of one of the converter mounting bolt pads, that there is at least 1/2" space between, you know an air gap.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Torque converter help - 07/31/20 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by 426lloyd
Installing new converter into 727 and measurement is 1-1/8 from ring gear to bellhousing at the bottom , old converter measures 1-1/4 can't get the new one in any further , should that cause a problem being 1/8 out , want to be sure before putting in and have to take it back out .
Measure the flexplate on the back of the engine.I believe my flexplate was .400" off the enging on the vert side.The ring gear was 1"

Re: Torque converter help - 07/31/20 11:39 PM

Ok just put a straight edge across the front and it measured exactly 1/2 inch to the face of pad , converter seems bottomed out so I should be good to go correct .
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Torque converter help - 08/01/20 12:34 AM

Ok just put a straight edge across the front and it measured exactly 1/2 inch to the face of pad , converter seems bottomed out so I should be good to go correct .
Looks good with .100" to the fp to pull forward when all together

Re: Torque converter help - 08/01/20 12:42 AM

Ok thank you
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Torque converter help - 08/01/20 03:38 PM

The shape of the converter bowl determines when/where it bottoms out. The 1/2" drive lug dimension is all that matters.
© 2024 Moparts Forums