Moparts

440 short block

Posted By: 71GTX471

440 short block - 07/27/20 10:32 PM

Friend of mine has a 440 short block #4027508 cast in 6/78 in the crate that he doesn't want to open to see if its forged crank & maybe SP type rods,does any one have a mid 70s parts catalog that may contain the part# & description,mite even be in Dodge truck chassis catalog.

Thanks Mike
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: 440 short block - 07/27/20 10:40 PM

Doesn’t sound like a “Friend” I’d want to have.

Build date mid 78 ? ... I’d bet it’s a cast crank and FOR SURE it’s a looow compression motor

Re: 440 short block - 07/27/20 11:10 PM

[quote=Doc Fiberglass..]Doesn’t sound like a “Friend” I’d want to have

Why???????????????????
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: 440 short block - 07/27/20 11:13 PM

A Forged crank motor will have the thin balancer on the front. A Cast crank (which a 78 most certainly is) will have the thick balancer.

Re: 440 short block - 07/27/20 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by 71GTX471
[quote=Doc Fiberglass..]Doesn’t sound like a “Friend” I’d want to have

Why???????????????????

Because A TRUE FRIEND... imo ... would want to be totally transparent and open about an item like this

Re: 440 short block - 07/27/20 11:30 PM

He already has it sold there just trying to find out more about it the block has the cooling passages for the 452 5/8 plug heads so may be a motor home short block,And as fare as being a true friend he just gave me boatloads of NOS Mopar parts hes downloading his Jensen parts business.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: 440 short block - 07/28/20 04:15 AM

He already has it sold there just trying to find out more about it the block has the cooling passages for the 452 5/8 plug heads so may be a motor home short block,And as fare as being a true friend he just gave me boatloads of NOS Mopar parts hes downloading his Jensen parts business.

OK. I'll bet him A DOLLAR that it has a cast crank. If I lose, PM me your address and I'll put his winnings in the mail ASAP. If I win, keep it and tell him to buy himself a convenience store hot dog (or whatever a dollar will buy these days). All I ask is that you post his findings. Deal? Holler...
Posted By: fastmark

Re: 440 short block - 07/28/20 10:35 AM

It’s probably a cast crank for motor home. I bought an NOS short block in the early 80 when mopar was dumping all their inventory. It was a late casting but not sure of the exact date. It was a cast crank with the steam holes for the 452 headed motor home application. I found out the hard wash you had to match it with the correct heads with the steam holes. I could never keep that motor from overheating.

Re: 440 short block - 07/28/20 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Fat_Mike

OK. I'll bet him A DOLLAR that it has a cast crank. If I lose, PM me your address and I'll put his winnings in the mail ASAP. If I win, keep it and tell him to buy himself a convenience store hot dog (or whatever a dollar will buy these days). All I ask is that you post his findings. Deal? Holler...

THIS is a HUGE BET for ole FM !

He must be really sure of what he’s alleging grin
© 2024 Moparts Forums