Moparts

4 speed input shaft measurement needed

Posted By: roadrunninMark

4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/11/20 11:57 PM

Can someone that has a manual transmission laying around do a measurement for me? I need the distance from the face of the transmission to the end of the input shaft. I need the measurement be from a transmission that is compatible in a 69 b body as that is what I have. Thanks
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/12/20 01:21 AM

here ya go

Attached picture aaa.jpg

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/12/20 01:56 AM

Thanks Philly, would you call that 8 3/4" or just a little shy of that?

Or is it the sticker says.. 8.66"?
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/12/20 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by roadrunninMark
Thanks Philly, would you call that 8 3/4" or just a little shy of that?

Or is it the sticker says.. 8.66"?

Opps: that sticker says 2:66 ratio gears.
Camera shot was fairly straight on: so split the difference.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/12/20 02:55 PM

Input shaft lengths will all be the same. What you need to concern yourself with is the bearing retainer size.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/12/20 03:58 PM

Also make sure the crankshaft is drilled out for a manual transmission..

Just my $0.02... wink

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/13/20 04:05 PM

Thanks for the additional info on the retainer and crank, I've got that covered. The reason I needed the shaft length measurement is because I have a clutchflite that looked to have the input shaft cut down, which I can now see that it has. I now have to figure out do I need a new shaft, or there some sort of sleeve I can use, or some other solution???

Attached picture clutchflite1.jpg
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/13/20 04:43 PM

That length looks a lot like the amount that's cut off when you don't use a crank that's actually drilled for a factory pilot bushing set up for a 4 speed. twocents

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/13/20 08:15 PM

It is about a 1/2" shorter than the above measurement from Philly.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/13/20 08:59 PM

Just measured my trans. From the end of the bearing retainer to the start of the wear pattern for the pilot bushing is 2.950”.
From the bearing retainer end to the end of the wear pattern (front) is 3.800”.
Anything longer than that is just going along for the ride.

Hope that helps.

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/13/20 10:44 PM

Hi Transman,

If I am figuring out your measurements, anything longer than 8.55" from the face of the transmission is "along for the ride". I am only getting about 8.25" on mine, meaning I am still a little short. I was informed that Passon Performance has extended a pilot bearing to make up the necessary distance in 833 four speeds, so I contacted them. I hope to hear back shortly. Sounds like this idea of extending the pilot bearing will work so I won't need another input shaft. at least not for now.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/14/20 01:36 AM

The pilot they're talking about is likely the ball bearing one that fits in the crank register. It would allow for a shorter shaft.

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/14/20 02:54 AM

Hi Transman,

If I am figuring out your measurements, anything longer than 8.55" from the face of the transmission is "along for the ride". I am only getting about 8.25" on mine, meaning I am still a little short. I was informed that Passon Performance has extended a pilot bearing to make up the necessary distance in 833 four speeds, so I contacted them. I hope to hear back shortly. Sounds like this idea of extending the pilot bearing will work so I won't need another input shaft. at least not for now.

I measured again - maybe this will help.

From the front of the main case to the end of the bearing retainer is 4.275”.
From the end of the bearing retainer to the rear portion of the wear pattern of the pilot bushing is 2.950”.
From the end of the bearing retainer to the forward portion of the wear pattern 3.780”.

I recall that some inputs were cut because the trans was used in a Chevy or Ford application. I don’t recall if they had to be cut for a Mopar application too, or maybe just for an auto trans crankshaft that wasn’t drilled for the bushing. Been too long, sufffer from CRS.

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/14/20 01:22 PM

Thanks Transman,

Can you do an overall measure, from face of transmission to end of input shaft? Also, can you measure from the beginning of the input shaft to the beginning of the splines?

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/14/20 04:13 PM

Thanks Transman,

Can you do an overall measure, from face of transmission to end of input shaft? Also, can you measure from the beginning of the input shaft to the beginning of the splines?

I was going to measure from the splines but mine is an 18 spline and it has a much different chamfer.

From the front of the bearing retainer to the end of the input shaft is 4.330” on mine.
Notice the wear pattern.

Attached picture C5605DA1-4E2A-487A-B290-644A78DF8D60.jpeg
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/14/20 07:58 PM

My roadrunner 4sp crank was toast...the machine shop found one but it needed to be drilled. Unfortunately they not drill deep enough....trans would not mate up. Rather then disassemble the motor and redrill.... we took about 1/2 off the shaft.

All good

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/14/20 10:11 PM

OK, thanks for all the info. I guess it will need to be put together outside the car first and see how much is in the bearing. Maybe I will get lucky and as Transman shows, more than I thought will still be in the bearing.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: 4 speed input shaft measurement needed - 07/15/20 06:29 PM

That trans was made for a Chevy engine, why it was cut off. When using the 4 speed trans there was a spacer-adapter to mate the blow shied and trans together but it was still to long so it was shortened. 727 done the same way.
© 2024 Moparts Forums