Moparts

Where is the headlight relay, 1979 Dodge W150 truck?

Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Where is the headlight relay, 1979 Dodge W150 truck? - 07/07/20 03:23 PM

Can't find it, where is it hidden?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Where is the headlight relay, 1979 Dodge W150 truck? - 07/07/20 03:27 PM

I don't believe they had one.

Re: Where is the headlight relay, 1979 Dodge W150 truck? - 07/07/20 03:59 PM

Is there a circuit breaker somewhere? There's no fuse for the headlights in the fusebox. Can't get any juice to the headlights or dimmer switch on the floor. Parking lights and turn signals work. I'm getting ready to pull the headlight switch after lunch.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Where is the headlight relay, 1979 Dodge W150 truck? - 07/07/20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by GODSCOUNTRY340
Is there a circuit breaker somewhere? There's no fuse for the headlights in the fusebox. Can't get any juice to the headlights or dimmer switch on the floor. Parking lights and turn signals work. I'm getting ready to pull the headlight switch after lunch.

built into the Headlight switch
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Where is the headlight relay, 1979 Dodge W150 truck? - 07/07/20 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by csk
Originally Posted by GODSCOUNTRY340

built into the Headlight switch
iagree

You could go with a HL relay kit that Crackedback sells.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Where is the headlight relay, 1979 Dodge W150 truck? - 07/07/20 11:34 PM

No relay I recall. Had all 4 h4's go out on my 79 warlock II years ago and a new headlight switch straightened it out. Of course, I tried not running the high beams too long at nights after that, but damn they lit up the boony roads well.

Re: Where is the headlight relay, 1979 Dodge W150 truck? - 07/08/20 12:36 AM

Well, pulled the switch, used a jumper wire on the harness and got all 4 headlights working. Checked the switch and there's no continuity between the power and headlight terminal. Thanx for all the input.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Where is the headlight relay, 1979 Dodge W150 truck? - 07/08/20 12:55 AM

Headlights are on a non fused separate power feed. Tail lights have a fused feed from the fuse panel. There should be a black wire at the switch 10 or 12 gauge and that should have power from the fuse link. I think the yellow goes to the dimmer switch. Check for power at the black. If no power you need to trace the wires. Suspect area is the bulkhead.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Where is the headlight relay, 1979 Dodge W150 truck? - 07/08/20 01:10 AM

Adding relays is a great idea, it takes a lot of load off the switch.

Modern switches are not anywhere near the quality the original switches were. I put 4 different aftermarket switches on my son's car before we got one that actually worked. Each switch had a different issue. All 4 switches were from local auto parts stores (each store only had one on the shelf), but once out of the box, all 4 looked identical.

Be forewarned, just because you have installed a new headlight switch, that no longer means you have installed a good switch. Gene
Posted By: 383man

Re: Where is the headlight relay, 1979 Dodge W150 truck? - 07/09/20 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by poorboy
Adding relays is a great idea, it takes a lot of load off the switch.

Modern switches are not anywhere near the quality the original switches were. I put 4 different aftermarket switches on my son's car before we got one that actually worked. Each switch had a different issue. All 4 switches were from local auto parts stores (each store only had one on the shelf), but once out of the box, all 4 looked identical.

Be forewarned, just because you have installed a new headlight switch, that no longer means you have installed a good switch. Gene

Adding a relay is a great idea. Back in the 90's we had trouble with Dodge trucks burning the contacts on the headlite switches and headlties going out. It was because of the high current the headlites carry that over time it burned the switch. So they came out with a TSB to install a relay for the headlites to take the load off the switch. I installed many back then as they even had a part # for the harness with the relay they gave us to wire in. Ron
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Where is the headlight relay, 1979 Dodge W150 truck? - 07/09/20 01:32 PM

Adding a relay is a great idea. Back in the 90's we had trouble with Dodge trucks burning the contacts on the headlite switches and headlties going out. It was because of the high current the headlites carry that over time it burned the switch. So they came out with a TSB to install a relay for the headlites to take the load off the switch. I installed many back then as they even had a part # for the harness with the relay they gave us to wire in. Ron
Ron that was on the 94 and newer trucks. I agree we also updated a lot of them. Still a good idea on the older trucks.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Where is the headlight relay, 1979 Dodge W150 truck? - 07/10/20 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN
Ron that was on the 94 and newer trucks. I agree we also updated a lot of them. Still a good idea on the older trucks.

Your right as I forgot what year it started. Sometimes we got trucks in for it that already had it done so I would save the relay and harness and over the years I saved about 4 of them. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums