Moparts

Removing Pulley from Alternator

Posted By: MONC

Removing Pulley from Alternator - 07/06/20 10:22 PM

After changing the bad alternator on my 96 Ram Pick Up a few years back with correct replacement, I threw a belt because now I realize the pulley that is on it is too small.
As when I put the new belt on last week, I can see it riding on the lip. It is up against the back of the pulley all the way, it just ran out of room .
Using a gates K070976 belt as was the last one. I rechecked compatibility and it is correct.

I can get a cheap enough pulley with the correct amount of grooves, but how do I get the pulley off the alternator?

Anyone do this? How difficult is it?

Thanks for the replies.

And if anyone has the right size pulley feel free to PM me wink
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Removing Pulley from Alternator - 07/07/20 12:02 AM

You probably need an alternator pulley pulling tool.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Removing Pulley from Alternator - 07/07/20 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by MONC
After changing the bad alternator on my 96 Ram Pick Up a few years back with correct replacement, I threw a belt because now I realize the pulley that is on it is too small.
As when I put the new belt on last week, I can see it riding on the lip. It is up against the back of the pulley all the way, it just ran out of room .
Using a gates K070976 belt as was the last one. I rechecked compatibility and it is correct.

I can get a cheap enough pulley with the correct amount of grooves, but how do I get the pulley off the alternator?

Anyone do this? How difficult is it?

Thanks for the replies.

And if anyone has the right size pulley feel free to PM me wink

Post a picture of how the belt is riding on that pulley.

Re: Removing Pulley from Alternator - 07/07/20 01:13 PM

It'll ride up no matter what

Attached picture belt.jpg

Re: Removing Pulley from Alternator - 07/07/20 01:19 PM

If nothing has been touched and this is a recent situation check out the tensioner first, the pivot can cause very slight misalignment and will cause this.
Any idler can cause this too.

Re: Removing Pulley from Alternator - 07/07/20 06:57 PM

Thanks I'll take a closer look.
I think it's been like this since I changed alternator 2 years ago.
Unfortunately can't go back to them now, as pulley looks smaller than what is supposed to be on there from what I can find.

Not sure how easy it is going to be to remove pulley .
Will I be able to do it still installed ?
Posted By: burdar

Re: Removing Pulley from Alternator - 07/07/20 07:01 PM

Looks like there is a nut holding the pulley on. Put an impact on it and it should buzz right off.

Re: Removing Pulley from Alternator - 07/07/20 07:59 PM

If the tensioner is working thru it’s arc of adjustability it was designed for then the size of the pulley means nothing. The belt is riding off due to misalignment.
Something is driving it forward.

If this started after replacing the alternator then likely you have the alternator skewed.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Removing Pulley from Alternator - 07/07/20 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by burdar
Looks like there is a nut holding the pulley on. Put an impact on it and it should buzz right off.

Yes, newer alternator pulleys aren't press-fit.

Re: Removing Pulley from Alternator - 07/07/20 09:54 PM

I will check if alternator is skewed, but I don't believe it is.
I will see if the existing pulley will come off , thanks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums