Moparts

Stock headlight switch questions

Posted By: eightlitermopar

Stock headlight switch questions - 07/03/20 10:19 PM

Many of you may have seen my many threads about burning up starters and in dash wiring.

In the process of fixing all those issues, I have a question about the headlight switch.

For 20 years now I have not had "brights" for headlights.

The regular lights work, but when I hit the dimmer switch on the floor, all lights go out. Dash lights, headlights, park lights, everything. So....I simply drove with regular lights. I changed the dimmer switch, and it did not change anything.

However, In my recent search I discovered the in dash switch installed sideways and was actually making contact with my wiper switch. Maybe this was the reason why?

Anyway, finally my question. When comparing the two switches side by side, I see a tab on the new one (circled in red) is this simply a ground?

Thanks!

eightlitermopar

Attached picture IMG_4422.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4420.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4423.JPG
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Stock headlight switch questions - 07/04/20 12:09 AM

Just a ground tab for different applications.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Stock headlight switch questions - 07/04/20 12:53 AM

I believe the circuit breaker is integral with the switch, when you hit the brights it trips, when the load lessens it switched back on. Bad breaker is what I've experienced in the past. 2¢

Re: Stock headlight switch questions - 07/04/20 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by 3hundred
I believe the circuit breaker is integral with the switch, when you hit the brights it trips, when the load lessens it switched back on. Bad breaker is what I've experienced in the past. 2¢

I am learning a lot about electrical here. Forgive my ignorance. Where is this breaker? Is it inside the switch itself? Will my changing the switch hopefully fix that issue?

thanks!

Re: Stock headlight switch questions - 07/04/20 01:39 AM

The breaker is in the switch. Headlights only are on the breaker. The park and dash circuits are on separate fuses that are controlled by the switch.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Stock headlight switch questions - 07/04/20 03:33 AM

Sure looks like it's a ground, connection leads to dash frame.

Joe
Posted By: moparx

Re: Stock headlight switch questions - 07/04/20 04:38 PM

that would be a ground tab for use mounted in a plastic dash assembly, such as a 74-78 C-body, or possibly an F,R, or J body.
beer

Re: Stock headlight switch questions - 07/06/20 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
that would be a ground tab for use mounted in a plastic dash assembly, such as a 74-78 C-body, or possibly an F,R, or J body.
beer

Thanks for all the replies. I might add an extra ground wire just to be safe. work

Re: Stock headlight switch questions - 07/06/20 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by eightlitermopar
Originally Posted by moparx
beer

Thanks for all the replies. I might add an extra ground wire just to be safe. work

All the ground is needed for is the dome light circuit. Nothing else. If your mounting frame is metal don't waste your time.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Stock headlight switch questions - 07/06/20 02:24 PM

One way to increase the brightness of your headlights, is to wire in a relay - so when you turn on the "headlights", it turns on the relay - and you wire directly from battery to a circuit breaker, then the circuit breaker to the relay contact on one side, then from the switched side of the contact, to the headlights. This way you get battery voltage DIRECTLY to the headlights. Voltage drop contributes to a drop in light (lumen) output of the headlights . . . and it is less amperage draw on the headlight switch, reducing stress on the wiring.

As to your "new" headlight switch, as was said, the circuit breaker is internal to the switch. The "additional" tab on your switch, is indeed an additional ground . . . good luck !
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Stock headlight switch questions - 07/06/20 05:09 PM

You should do some research about adding relays to power your headlights. That way the switch is only carrying the low current to the relays mounted on the core support near the headlights, The result is much brighter lights and a longer lasting headlight switch due to less current flowing through the switch twocents

Gus beer

HaHa A12rag was typing the same idea but only faster then me laugh2

Re: Stock headlight switch questions - 07/08/20 05:08 AM

One way to increase the brightness of your headlights, is to wire in a relay - so when you turn on the "headlights", it turns on the relay - and you wire directly from battery to a circuit breaker, then the circuit breaker to the relay contact on one side, then from the switched side of the contact, to the headlights. This way you get battery voltage DIRECTLY to the headlights. Voltage drop contributes to a drop in light (lumen) output of the headlights . . . and it is less amperage draw on the headlight switch, reducing stress on the wiring.

As to your "new" headlight switch, as was said, the circuit breaker is internal to the switch. The "additional" tab on your switch, is indeed an additional ground . . . good luck !

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
You should do some research about adding relays to power your headlights. That way the switch is only carrying the low current to the relays mounted on the core support near the headlights, The result is much brighter lights and a longer lasting headlight switch due to less current flowing through the switch twocents

Gus beer

HaHa A12rag was typing the same idea but only faster then me laugh2

Relays and more LED technology is definitely on my radar. As for now I am trying to track down an electrical short and just get the darn thing running again. Its been sitting for almost two years and I'm starting to go into withdrawals. panic

thanks for all the input!

eightlitermopar
© 2024 Moparts Forums