Moparts

Rear Pinion Seal

Posted By: GTXKARL

Rear Pinion Seal - 07/02/20 11:18 PM

Hello. What are the steps to replacing a rear pinion seal on a Dana rear of a 1970 Plymouth GTX? What kind if gear oil do I need to put in it? What gear oil for a 4 speed transmission? TY for any help!
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Rear Pinion Seal - 07/03/20 12:58 AM

That job is easy if you have the right tools. If you don't have the right tools then all you can do is lay under the car and stare at it. The torque on the pinion nut is around 250 ft-lbs so you need a big cheater bar or a big impact wrench. You'll also need a way to hold the pinion. Once you pull the pinion yoke off (takes another tool) then you just pry the old seal out and install the new seal with the correct installation tool. Then you put it back together. Takes about 20 minutes for a good mechanic with all the right tools and a lift. If you don't have any tools then you can work on it for the rest of time and never finish the job. I'm in the middle of changing the gears in my Dana 60 myself. Here is the tool I used to hold the pinion while I'll removed the nut.

Attached picture DSC_4234 (Large).JPG
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Rear Pinion Seal - 07/03/20 03:08 AM

I use a big pipe wrench on the pinion yoke, tighten it up so it holds well and then use 1/2 inch or if you can a 3/4 inch breaker and socket to break the pinion nut loose. I use a brass drift, punch, to drive the pinion yoke off of the pinion shaft hammer
as far lube I like and use 75x90Wt non synthetic gear oil with a posi additive for the posi units up
On the 4 speed look for Pennzoil synchromesh gear oil and use it up
Summit and probably other hi Po warehouses stock and sell it if you can't find it locally like me scope
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Rear Pinion Seal - 07/03/20 11:05 AM

I think Andy is a machinist so he has nice tools. I did the pipe wrench thing for years. I final grabbed a piece of scrap 2” angle iron and drilled some holes to bolt on the yoke. I then used a torch to cut out the center slightly to get a socket on the nut. I’ve got a big Matco torque wrench that will go to 250. It was not cheap.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Rear Pinion Seal - 07/03/20 02:33 PM

Here is how I break mine loose, it keeps from damaging the gears with an impac

Attached picture 103854713_3112138312178190_8471341047009670912_n.jpg
Attached picture 104429837_3112138252178196_3958849205188835337_n.jpg
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Rear Pinion Seal - 07/03/20 02:51 PM

I just did this in February. I had to take the whole axle out because I had to change the housing, because one tube was leaking(long story). Anyway, AndyF is spot on with his reply. My rear end oil is a Amsoil racing(?) brand that my friend who had rebuilt it. I know it is VERY thick stuff, not sure of the weight tho.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Rear Pinion Seal - 07/03/20 03:00 PM

That's called working smarter, not harder.

Originally Posted by csk
Here is how I break mine loose, it keeps from damaging the gears with an impact

Re: Rear Pinion Seal - 07/03/20 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by GTXKARL
Hello. What are the steps to replacing a rear pinion seal on a Dana rear of a 1970 Plymouth GTX? What kind if gear oil do I need to put in it? What gear oil for a 4 speed transmission? TY for any help!

Mancini has the adapter for the yoke. You'll still need a 3/4 breaker bar to fit in the tool and then a big socket and a big breaker bar for the nut. Then you'll need a big torque wrench to tighten the nut back up.
https://www.manciniracing.com/yoinreto.html
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Rear Pinion Seal - 07/03/20 04:19 PM

Mine was fabricated using a broken torsion bar from a Superbird.

Details at https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/NostalgiaAndOldCars.shtml
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Rear Pinion Seal - 07/03/20 05:23 PM

So the parking brake won’t hold the yolk? Just asking, I never tried.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Rear Pinion Seal - 07/03/20 05:56 PM

FWIW I was told by a guy at a differential shop that occasionally pinion seal leaks can also be from oil migrating down the pinion gear, thru the splines, and out between the washer and or pinion nut. Once everything is wet with oil it's hard to tell where it's coming from exactly.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Rear Pinion Seal - 07/03/20 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Neil
FWIW I was told by a guy at a differential shop that occasionally pinion seal leaks can also be from oil migrating down the pinion gear, thru the splines, and out between the washer and or pinion nut. Once everything is wet with oil it's hard to tell where it's coming from exactly.

True, and this also applies to the crank bolt and washer. Always use a dab of RTV on the yolk splines and most of the times on the damper slot for the key. I think we even issued an ASN in the early 80’s for the 318/360 damper leaks.

Re: Rear Pinion Seal - 07/04/20 02:17 AM

Once you remove the pinion nut you'll need a way to pull the pinion off since it is a slight press fit on the splines. Here is a home made puller that I use but a two jaw puller will also work.

Attached picture DSC_4235 (Large).JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums