Moparts

Black Wrinkle Finish

Posted By: BANDIT

Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 01:01 PM

Hey guys, I’m refinishing a set of Hemi valve covers for a buddy, what paint and procedure do you use to achieve the wrinkle finish. Not a Gold show car job, just something acceptable will do. Thanks , Jim.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 01:07 PM

You'll probably only be able to find VHT wrinkle. I know its a hard thing for a guy to do but ...follow the directions on the can.
Posted By: robertop

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 01:16 PM

I did a same set few years ago and quickly realized that paint would not do for such an item. I went with powder coating with excellent results
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 01:19 PM

Yep, the directions are good. Lay it on pretty thick, until it's just about to run.
Let it air dry. Alot of times...it won't wrinkle and folks freak out.
Apply a little heat, and the wrinkle effect will kick in.

Attached picture 572-001.jpg
Posted By: TJP

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 02:41 PM

I have done a lot of wrinkle finishes over the years and have found that even coats along with the suggested heat works awesome. I have used either a kerosene or 115V oil filled radiant heater as the source of heat. If you watch it, it will wrinkle as the heat travels across the part. beer
Posted By: Lee446

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 03:01 PM

A friend of mine had used the various commonly available aerosols with mixed results. He was at the Harley dealer getting some parts and they had their brand of wrinkle paint. It was expensive, but gave him perfect first time results with 100% wrinkle.
Posted By: second 70

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lee446
A friend of mine had used the various commonly available aerosols with mixed results. He was at the Harley dealer getting some parts and they had their brand of wrinkle paint. It was expensive, but gave him perfect first time results with 100% wrinkle.

Agree on the Harley paint.

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 03:43 PM

Thanks guys, there is a Harley shop about 50 miles away, I’ll give it a try. Jim.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 03:54 PM

I suspect the Harley stuff is repackaged VHT ... just 3 times the price. The same stuff was available back in the 70's and today's product doesn't work any better or worse. Back then I used to bake it in the oven at well over the recommended 200 degrees. It stood up to anything you could throw at it. The only way to remove it was to sandblast it - not bead blast ... SANDBLAST !!
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 06:36 PM

I know it is not what you where looking for but I used some black Dupli color truck bed coating and it looked really nice and durable. I think it looks close to the wrinkle finish.

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 06:54 PM

I had thought about the bed liner stuff too. Jim

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 07:06 PM

You guys that used the Harley paint, did you have to bake them after painting? Jim
Posted By: burdar

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 07:34 PM

When I use the VHT paint, I let it sit for maybe 15 minutes so it gets a little tacky.(less likely to run when heat applied) Then I hit it with a heat gun. Make sure to move the heat around and don't have it set on high air speed. One area will start to wrinkle and you can follow the leading edge along with the head gun. If you hold the heat in one spot too long it will bubble.

You don't have to use heat if you don't want to. When redoing my plastic Challenger heater controls, I just let the parts sit in the sun.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 08:16 PM

There are youtube vids on spraying wrinkle paint. You have to do three coats each at different angles etc. It does require some practice to nail it.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 10:10 PM

Don’t use bedliner. That is just silly. I’ve done many air cleaners and valve covers, the time between coats and heat is very important. Also shake the cans some for a couple day before painting.
Look at this old thread.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1943417/Searchpage/1/Main/167993/Words/%2BWrinkle/Search/true/re-quick-survey-best-rattle-can-wrinkle-finish.html#Post1943417
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Black Wrinkle Finish - 06/23/20 11:30 PM

VHT and Harley both work well. The more you apply at one time and the more heat you apply during the drying process will determine the amount of wrinkle. I just use a hair dryer. I can see where powder coat would be a bit tougher finish, but I have never had any issues with the VHT, so I am not sure that the powder coat would be worth the extra coin.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Moparts Forums