Moparts

Painting Question. Is this reducer pop?

Posted By: Michael Ecks

Painting Question. Is this reducer pop? - 06/21/20 02:49 PM

Trying to remember how to paint from those basic body shop courses 15 years ago. I have this effect on some other parts too, but on those you can't feel anything at all, just looks more likely sparklies or small air bubbles just below the surface. I think I layered too much on without enough flash time because I was getting frustrated with the poor coverage I was getting. You can actually feel it on this part, like super fine raised specks.

Attached picture KIMG0220.JPG
Posted By: topside

Re: Painting Question. Is this reducer pop? - 06/21/20 03:01 PM

We called it "solvent pop", and yeah, kinda looks like that.

You can likely color-sand that out, but polishing will be a bit of an adventure...
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: Painting Question. Is this reducer pop? - 06/21/20 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by topside
We called it "solvent pop", and yeah, kinda looks like that.

You can likely color-sand that out, but polishing will be a bit of an adventure...

"Solvent Pop" was actually the term I was trying to remember, thanks.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Painting Question. Is this reducer pop? - 06/21/20 04:30 PM

So what causes it? Contaminants under the paint like oil or silicone?
Posted By: TJP

Re: Painting Question. Is this reducer pop? - 06/21/20 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
So what causes it? Contaminants under the paint like oil or silicone?

No, not allowing enough time for the solvents to evaporate between coats. It's referred to as "flash time". Myself, I would strip it and start over but other more experienced painters may have a different opinion beer
Posted By: RJS

Re: Painting Question. Is this reducer pop? - 06/21/20 05:03 PM

I have some small area's of solvent pop on flat surfaces like my hood. Paint is about 4 years old. I've taken a bunch out with sanding and polishing but on that cap not likely.
Ron
Posted By: shinysidup

Re: Painting Question. Is this reducer pop? - 06/22/20 01:04 PM

It's solvent pop...
You'll be able to sand it out but by the time it's out completely you'll be into the basecoat.
It'll need re-basecoated and cleared. Pay attention to the temperature range of the reducer you're using
and give it more than enough flash time between base coats. A reducer that's too fast for the temperature can do that too
by skinning on the surface and trapping the solvent underneath.
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Painting Question. Is this reducer pop? - 06/22/20 04:34 PM

Solvent pop for sure. Too much paint too fast, or not using a slow enough thinner. Contamination causes fish eyes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums