Moparts

air grabber rivets

Posted By: moparthunder70

air grabber rivets - 06/14/20 01:03 AM

Has anyone had any experience removing air grabber rivets from the hood box ? I assume you would drill a hole in the middle of the rivet to remove it...I'm wondering if I should use a 1/8 or 3/16 bit..Logic would tell me not to use a bit bigger than the shank of the rivet ? I have to remove the air grabber to detail it and the underside of the hood....
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: air grabber rivets - 06/14/20 02:31 PM

I have no idea but if it was me I would start small then go up to the size needed.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: air grabber rivets - 06/14/20 02:54 PM

If it were me, I would take a small die grinder ( think dremel tool here ) and grind the head away. Pull the box off the remains then work the shank out.

if you drill them out the remains end up down inside the bracing of the hood causing rattles

BUT, the best I remember the shank size is 3/16" if that helps
Posted By: topside

Re: air grabber rivets - 06/14/20 03:22 PM

If you drill, use a stop on the bit; a length of vacuum hose works well.
Posted By: crackedback

Re: air grabber rivets - 06/14/20 04:36 PM

grinding the center also removes the risk of a rivet head spinning and breaking off a tab.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: air grabber rivets - 06/15/20 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by crackedback
grinding the center also removes the risk of a rivet head spinning and breaking off a tab.

Agree and then use a small drill bit (1/8 least) to knock the stem loose. Do this all the time on airplanes and usually, it's a #30 or #40 drill bit
Posted By: astjp2

Re: air grabber rivets - 06/16/20 03:01 AM

Most 1/8" rivets are drilled with a #30 bit, they make tools to drill out rivets. look at the yardstore.com for the tool to keep the drill centered.
Posted By: floyd

Re: air grabber rivets - 06/16/20 12:04 PM

Interesting- Google “rivet removal tool. Here a couple videos that shows how they work. Pretty slick.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4SPevpRAruU

https://vintagetrailersupply.com/rivet-removal-tool-vts-497/
Posted By: moparthunder70

Re: air grabber rivets - 06/16/20 09:14 PM

sounds like the best solution..thanks so much...been off the site for a while so didn't respond right away...air grabber is original...would hate to break off the tabs due to insufficient knowledge...appreciate all the suggestions...thanks a bunch..
© 2024 Moparts Forums