Moparts

what do you use for oxidized chrome bumper?

Posted By: jcastle1

what do you use for oxidized chrome bumper? - 06/13/20 03:26 AM

What products do you use to clean an oxidized chrome bumper? I would like something that is easy and I can apply with a microfiber towel. I'm Not interested in the gadgets you can insert into a drill.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: what do you use for oxidized chrome bumper? - 06/13/20 01:47 PM

Any chrome cleaner BUT I hate using microfiber cloths because they seem to get caught on the slightest little burr and stuff. I still prefer something like an old towel, t-shirt, bedsheet, etc..
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: what do you use for oxidized chrome bumper? - 06/14/20 01:29 AM

White polishing compound

Re: what do you use for oxidized chrome bumper? - 06/15/20 02:27 AM

I had the bumpers straightened and rechromed 20+ years ago. They look real good still, no pitting at all. Just oxidized. I have been using blue magic for years but it's messy and I don't like any of the Mothers products.
I was just hoping there was some "trade secret" out there.

Thanks,

John
Posted By: TJP

Re: what do you use for oxidized chrome bumper? - 06/15/20 11:56 PM

Not sure what you mean by oxidized but real fine steel wool works well even better with chrome polish. beer
Posted By: David1971

Re: what do you use for oxidized chrome bumper? - 06/16/20 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by TJP
Not sure what you mean by oxidized but real fine steel wool works well even better with chrome polish. beer

A less aggressive alternative is bronze wool. By the way, I have not tried it on chrome bumpers.

David

Attached picture 012 - Copy.JPG
Posted By: burdar

Re: what do you use for oxidized chrome bumper? - 06/16/20 04:07 PM

Not sure what you mean by oxidized but real fine steel wool works well even better with chrome polish.

Test it in a hidden area first. I've had great luck with it in the past but others have stated that it scratched their chrome.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: what do you use for oxidized chrome bumper? - 06/17/20 07:57 AM

How To Polish Rusted Chrome - 15 minute YouTube video.

Attached picture Untitled.png
Posted By: TJP

Re: what do you use for oxidized chrome bumper? - 06/18/20 12:23 AM

Test it in a hidden area first. I've had great luck with it in the past but others have stated that it scratched their chrome.

Then they used too coarse of a grade. Sorry I can't remember the grade right now but finer is better. Buy a couple different ones, they're cheap and available at any hardware store beer

Re: what do you use for oxidized chrome bumper? - 06/22/20 03:23 AM

i just have some stains and streaking, as well as a faded look. I've never used anything but Blue Magic. No steel wool, either. I was just wondering if there was something better out there.
Posted By: jcc

Re: what do you use for oxidized chrome bumper? - 06/22/20 11:35 AM

As another mentioned, chrome is not prone to oxidize. Also understand, "chrome" is effectively clear. The nickel plating underneath the "chrome" is the real source of the silver look. What you maybe seeing is something else, like an etching, or build up of mineral deposits, or at worse case break down of the chrome/nickel to steel which does clearly rust. I would be very careful of using anything that is abrasive to wear off the very thin chrome protective layer if still present for ultimately a short term cosmetic improvement.
© 2024 Moparts Forums