Moparts

Melling HV oil pump with stock oil pan (small block)

Posted By: 76Beeper

Melling HV oil pump with stock oil pan (small block) - 03/27/09 11:00 AM

Is anyone running this combination in thier car?
I've heard that you cannot use the M72HV pump with a stock oil pan as it will suck the pan dry.
Also I was told not to use a windage tray with that setup as well. I want to use this setup for my 360 motor.
Your thoughts and opinions on this please..
Posted By: Hotwheelsjr

Re: Melling HV oil pump with stock oil pan (small block) - 03/27/09 11:04 AM

I have a TRW HV pump and a windage tray in my Demon's 340...with a stock pan. I have to run a quart high to keep from sucking air.
Posted By: Hrtbkr

Re: Melling HV oil pump with stock oil pan (small block) - 03/27/09 11:20 AM

I found out the hard way that if you rev your 340 too hard with a HV pump it will suck all the oil out of your pan. I paid a visit to the engine builder (Dan Smith) the next day...

He installed a standard volume pump along during the rebuild, added a custom windage tray and things have been good for 60K miles.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Melling HV oil pump with stock oil pan (small block) - 03/27/09 11:57 AM

I ran one with a stock pan and tray for a while and never had a problem ( 6 qt pan w/filter ). Going through the lights I always had oil pressure. The only problem I did incounter was pump to pan clearance. I had to cut off the corner of the pan ( area where the pump sits ) and raise it up about 3/8" to clear the pump cover bolts. I have heard that this isn't the case with all stock pans though??
Posted By: CJK440

Re: Melling HV oil pump with stock oil pan (small block) - 03/27/09 12:54 PM

Perhaps you don't need an HV pump?

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post5088281
Posted By: 76Beeper

Re: Melling HV oil pump with stock oil pan (small block) - 03/29/09 06:44 PM

CJK440 - I think you are correct, I don't need the HV pump. The motor will be a fresh build.
I want to keep the stock pan & use a windage tray as well. I've already added a baffle in the stock pan.
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.........
Posted By: dave571

Re: Melling HV oil pump with stock oil pan (small block) - 03/29/09 07:40 PM

Quote:

CJK440 - I think you are correct, I don't need the HV pump. The motor will be a fresh build.
I want to keep the stock pan & use a windage tray as well. I've already added a baffle in the stock pan.
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.........

Good call.

It is a common misconception that an HV pump provides better oiling. It's purpose is to restore oil pressure, in an engine with excessive clearances. More oil flow to bring the pressure back up.

On a fresh motor, the clearances are tight,a nd a stnd volume pump will meet your oil needs.

Some racer guys even experiment with reducing oil flow.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Melling HV oil pump with stock oil pan (small block) - 03/30/09 02:08 PM

Quote:

I ran one with a stock pan and tray for a while and never had a problem ( 6 qt pan w/filter ). Going through the lights I always had oil pressure. The only problem I did incounter was pump to pan clearance. I had to cut off the corner of the pan ( area where the pump sits ) and raise it up about 3/8" to clear the pump cover bolts. I have heard that this isn't the case with all stock pans though??

What stock pan holds 6 quarts?

Truck pans hold 6.5
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Melling HV oil pump with stock oil pan (small block) - 03/30/09 02:30 PM

The pan I was referring to is a Hughes # 6105 - center sump, 7" deep. When I compared it to the stock pan on my 79 300 ( E58 motor ) they appear to be identical ). Could be a truck pan?? Don't know. If your engine clearances are correct, you shouldn't suck the pan dry, even with a high volume pump. Some times the big leaker on small blocks is in the rocker arm / shaft area (LA motor ) especially if you are using used stuff. Might be old school, but I perfer to sacrifice a few HP for the added security of a high volume pump. I don't carry any "spare bullets" in my trailer.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Melling HV oil pump with stock oil pan (small block) - 03/30/09 02:38 PM

Truck pan is rear sump.
© 2024 Moparts Forums