Moparts

Mystery in oil pan???

Posted By: road

Mystery in oil pan??? - 06/02/20 10:30 PM

Can anyone identify this small mystery item found in the bottom of my oil pan. 340 4 barrel

Thanks

Attached picture IMG_2628.JPG
Posted By: Suregrip391

Re: Mystery in oil pan??? - 06/02/20 10:33 PM

What’s it made of? Looks like a button from a sleeve or shirt.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Mystery in oil pan??? - 06/02/20 10:34 PM

iagree Looks like a button? What's it made of? shruggy
Posted By: topside

Re: Mystery in oil pan??? - 06/02/20 10:46 PM

I'm thinking button as well.
Found a leaf in one, in perfect condition, about 35 years ago.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Mystery in oil pan??? - 06/02/20 11:05 PM

That is the oil metering disc from a hydraulic lifter.
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: Mystery in oil pan??? - 06/03/20 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones

Yep, but HOW? I've had a lifter explode when a pushrod got shoved down after a timing chain snapped and valve tried to fornicate my piston. But it left a lot more metal all over.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Mystery in oil pan??? - 06/03/20 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by road
Can anyone identify this small mystery item found in the bottom of my oil pan. 340 4 barrel

Thanks

It could be from a lifter, but kind of looks like that pattern those round casting marks in the lifter valley have. Maybe from the original casting core box?? Just thinking out loud.

Re: Mystery in oil pan??? - 06/03/20 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dave_J
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones

Yep, but HOW? I've had a lifter explode when a pushrod got shoved down after a timing chain snapped and valve tried to fornicate my piston. But it left a lot more metal all over.

Well we really don't have much information to go on. All we know is it's a 340. Why is the oil pan off? Is there other debris in the pan and this is the only piece the OP doesn't know? Was there a failure? Prior rebuild or repair? The last 340 was produced in '73 so chances are unless it's been stored somewhere for the last 30+ years it's had some work done to it.

Re: Mystery in oil pan??? - 06/03/20 12:24 PM

Wow Thanks so far.
It was the only thing in the pan. It is metal, thin and sturdy, I was changing the cam. Motor had around 1200 miles since rebuild. Took the pan off to improve chances of good gasket seal. Also changed lifters and all old were complete. Don't know the prior history of motor. Took a picture of the other side of the piece. What looks like a ring around the first picture and a circle on the second and not raised but look like this piece was a part of something.

Thanks all.

Attached picture IMG_2629.JPG

Re: Mystery in oil pan??? - 06/03/20 02:02 PM

Take an old lifter apart if you don't believe me. I don't know how or why it was in your oil pan but it's an oil metering disc from a lifter without a doubt.

Re: Mystery in oil pan??? - 06/03/20 06:59 PM

Guitar Jones is correct. Just took a lifter apart and sure enough.

Thanks
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Mystery in oil pan??? - 06/03/20 10:31 PM

Years ago I was converting my 72 Swing from /6 to 360. Bought a 79 Cordoba as the donor. Pulled the engine to inspect and regasket it, found an extra connecting rod nut in the crankcase. Pretty sure this was an untouched engine (date codes on the bearings coincided) near as I can figure when they were assembling the engine someone dropped the nut inside and just grabbed another rather than find it and fish it out. Good old 70's QA. I would probably think your part is there from the prior work and someone was lazy.
© 2024 Moparts Forums