Moparts

Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody?

Posted By: SportFuryS/23383

Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 02:39 AM

Hi All,

As some of you may know my stepfather is building a 1966 Dodge Charger with a big block 383, here is the build thread if anyone wants to follow it. https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...s-1966-dodge-charger-restification.html. We have the engine mainly together and basically all we have left is the air conditioning, condenser, and radiator. I maybe missing a couple of things, anyway our plan is to put modern air conditioning in and NOT use the big and heavy RV2 to save a bit of weight and get cooler air. We are thinking of buying the Stage 2 Performance Kit from Original Air for $850.00, here is a picture and the link. We are looking for suggestions opinions and what have you about modern air conditioning prices and such, is there anything a bit cheaper than $850.00 with what we are looking for. Anybody? Any help, knowledge etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone

https://www.originalair.com/66-70-b...0-134a-engine-compartment-upgrade-kit-stage-2

Attached picture 0019548_66-70-chargersatellite-ac-performance-upgrade-kit-big-block-stage-2.jpeg
Posted By: CSK

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by SportFuryS/23383
Hi All,

As some of you may know my stepfather is building a 1966 Dodge Charger with a big block 383, here is the build thread if anyone wants to follow it. https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...s-1966-dodge-charger-restification.html. We have the engine mainly together and basically all we have left is the air conditioning, condenser, and radiator. I maybe missing a couple of things, anyway our plan is to put modern air conditioning in and NOT use the big and heavy RV2 to save a bit of weight and get cooler air. We are thinking of buying the Stage 2 Performance Kit from Original Air for $850.00, here is a picture and the link. We are looking for suggestions opinions and what have you about modern air conditioning prices and such, is there anything a bit cheaper than $850.00 with what we are looking for. Anybody? Any help, knowledge etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone

https://www.originalair.com/66-70-b...0-134a-engine-compartment-upgrade-kit-stage-2

I used about the same on my 68 Charger, rebuilt the factory ac/heater box, it will FREEZE you out, even when its 110deg outside.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 12:09 PM

I think it depends on a few things.
Do you have the original inside box and controls?
IF so the under hood kit is the way to go.
however I don't think this is a great deal.
It is very complete however.
If you are able to piece together parts yourself, and get hoses made, it might be cheaper with one of the other well known kit makers like classic auto air or vintage air for just the underhood parts ordered separately.
you may have to call about the mount to the engine.
condensor for 150, compressor for 250, I am not sure all those odds and ends equal another 400 bucks. but could be wrong.
Posted By: 69hemibeep

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 12:54 PM

Call the makers and ask if it will fit an A/C car. I was going to scrap the A/C in my 68 Valiant but I come to find out none of the existing holes in the firewall were usable and there is no kit to replace the push button vacuum controls so I kept the old system and went new under hood. The aftermarket is geared up for non A/C cars at least in the A body so call first.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 03:12 PM

An aftermarket AC system that will FREEZE YOU OUT ?

I’ve got a bud that’s building a Willy’s that would love that option!

Any aftermarket AC system we’ve ever seen is MORE than lacking tsk
Posted By: GY3

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

Then you haven't seen many aftermarket A/C systems.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 03:37 PM

The AC brackets are most likely Bouchillon. I'm planning on a complete aftermarket system for my '67 Barracuda convertible, but may piece some of it together.

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 04:26 PM

I think you missed where he used the original under dash part.
Doing that I agree, the compressor doesn't make that much of a difference.
The under dash part makes it freeze you out. not the under hood, assuming you have a big enough condenser.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
The AC brackets are most likely Bouchillon. I'm planning on a complete aftermarket system for my '67 Barracuda convertible, but may piece some of it together.

I used a Vintage Air GenV evaporator and matching in-dash electronic controller and pieced together an under hood set-up from Nostalgic A/C on my 5.9 Magnum based motor with factory serpentine belt drive. It works very well an fit nicely, as. Vintage Air does not offer an A-Body kit as of yet.

I used the largest condenser that would fit in front of my radiator and had a local shop fit and crimp my A/C lines.

Attached picture Airbox1 (Medium).JPG
Attached picture ac2 (Medium).png
Attached picture ac3.JPG
Attached picture ac4 (Medium).png

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 05:59 PM

Hay guyz ... hardly an automobile AC expert here AT ALL but I’ve ridden in enuff cars with AC and nothing I’ve ever come across would freeze you out..... other than my uncles turbo diesel Jetta eek

My 2020 Charger works well - no complaints - but a freeze out job ? ... nOpE ! tsk

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 06:23 PM

lol, I have seen ice fly out of the vents in an 89 hyundai, so your wrong.

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 06:35 PM

tsk running the AC on MAX in the middle of winter up in Canuckada .....

Does NOT count !

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 07:08 PM

max a/c in florida so stirthepot

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Andrewh
max a/c in florida so stirthepot

Likely story ... tsk

Maybe when the orange trees FROZE in Eustis some time ago ! coffee
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 07:37 PM

If your buddy has room for a VintageAir MK IV under the dash, it should keep him adequately refrigerated. I have one in my Polara wagon and it will make you reach for the low cool.

Kevin

Attached picture VTA-672001VHY.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20190709_132220242.jpg

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 09:15 PM

Hay guyz ... hardly an automobile AC expert here AT ALL but I’ve ridden in enuff cars with AC and nothing I’ve ever come across would freeze you out..... other than my uncles turbo diesel Jetta eek

My 2020 Charger works well - no complaints - but a freeze out job ? ... nOpE ! tsk

You have not rode in my 68 Charger LMAO, have you seen how large the evaporator is in a stock Charger, its HUGE , about 2.5 tons smile yes it will freeze you out
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 09:30 PM

I used mostly Vintage Air system in a 1970 Cuda, ( hemi auto ) All the underdash components are electronic versus the old cable or vacuum controls. I made adapter brackets to mount the under dash box to existing non air heater box mounting points in case the owner ever decides to go back to stock ( not likely )

Not sure where the owner got the under hood stuff from .
The car is limelight green black vinyl top and all black interior. I wouldn't say it will freeze you out, but its close .

If I was ever to build another car for myself ( not likely ) And its not a factory air car, it will get the Vintage air system
Posted By: SportFuryS/23383

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 09:50 PM

Does anyone know of any places that sells what I am looking for cheaper than $850? We would spend it if we have to but we would like to find something cheaper as $850 is a bit much.

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/02/20 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk

Check with them ^^^^^^^

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/03/20 01:03 AM

everything there is probably off the shelf except the mount.
if you are willing to do the leg work you can probably piece it together a couple hundred cheaper.
but they put it in a kit and cut hoses to length.
I did the classic kit and it cost me 50 bucks to get the hoses cut and crimped while I waited.

if you need a kit, then I am not sure if you are going to find it much cheaper.

As mentioned the other 2 big names are vintage air and classic auto air.
Posted By: BcudaChris

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/03/20 06:32 PM

I used Bouchillon brackets and pieced the rest together myself of Ebag, etc. I came in at ~400 in parts with an offshore condenser, an off brand compressor of the model Bouchillon recommends for their bracket. I used mostly barrier hose, but bent up some AL tubing to get over the core support. I built my hoses myself and had a local A/C shop crimp them.

Hardest part was getting the charge right. I ended up at 2.2lbs. I spent a couple of hundred with the A/C shop getting the charge right.

Freeze you out is right, if ambient temps are in the 70s. On par with new cars at higher ambient temps, and blows away my wife's 2103 Huyndai and my 2001 Mustang. The referenced A/C shop said the great performance was likely due to keeping the factory (large by today's standards) engineered for R-12 evaporator.

R134, Sanden "shorty" style compressor (forget the model #)

Condenser was the largest that could fit in the 26" radiator opening. I found one with the in and out ports where I wanted them for hose routing convenience. I stuck with older tech expansion valve and o-ring fittings which kept the cost down dramatically.

And, this is in a 73 Barracuda, original A/C car. I can't speak to retro-ing to a non-a/c car.

It isn't that difficult to piece together sourcing most stuff on Ebay. That said, all the research and project planning was time consuming. The 800 Kit may be your best option if noodling it thorough is a time constraint.

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/03/20 09:20 PM

I'm under the impression that the OEM Mopar air conditioning compressors are a lot better than the current after market Sanden units confused work
I would make sure first before switching twocents
I have a 1940 Ford Tudor sedan that I'm going to add air to and I want it as cool as possible, it is dark blue and relative big inside so the air will need to cool a lot of area. I've bought a trunk mounted unit from either Vintage Air or Southern Air but none of the under hood parts or lines yet. I'm thinking of adding a small under dash combination heater and air conditioning unit for heat and defroster also., lots of bridges to cross soon to get that car done luck
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/03/20 09:34 PM

The Sanden compressors are considerably more efficient that the old Mopar compressor. The Sanden also fits better with certain other parts.

Attached picture Sanden compressor on 440.jpg

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/03/20 09:59 PM

Like I said the Sanden with the original evap works great .

Attached picture 91964999_2935826903142666_8178780628339130368_n.jpg
Posted By: Alchemi

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/04/20 07:31 AM

The sanden is lighter and is more efficient, sucking less power, providing 8-8.5 cfm
The factory one is good for 12cfm

As said, most of its in the condenser & heater box
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/05/20 04:54 PM

A friend, before he died, said he used Thermo king stuff (semi trucks) much cheaper than the others. Never followed up with him on it, wish I had now.
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/05/20 05:44 PM

You need a new a/c guy Doc. Old RV2 compressor setup charged with the right amount of r12 would freeze you out of the car. The key with the new r134 stuff is you need more cooling capacity in the condenser to make it really cold.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/05/20 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by mgoblue9798

You need a new a/c guy Doc. Old RV2 compressor setup charged with the right amount of r12 would freeze you out of the car. The key with the new r134 stuff is you need more cooling capacity in the condenser to make it really cold.

I think the reason a lot of AC systems underperform is the water valves or blend doors don't close completely and the system has to compete with the heater.

My KW has shut offs at the engine and I shut them off in the summer because with the heater set to cold you can still feel air warmer than ambient if you run the fan.

Kevin
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/06/20 04:32 PM

It's true. Those old V2 Chrysler compressors would FREEZE you out. When you start converting to newer refrigerants you really need to convert the entire system for it to work properly. My old '79 standard cab Adventurer would freeze inside the cab with the OEM system. I'd actually have to shut it off for a few minutes sometimes. Brrrrrr.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/06/20 08:46 PM

Condenser, if front of radiator?
Posted By: BcudaChris

Re: Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody? - 06/08/20 07:33 PM

I think we may all have different definitions of "freeze you out". When I lived in FL, I had the RV2 setup with R12, it would sure freeze up the evaporator and fog the windows, and make me nauseous when jumping into it when it was all cooled down after being all hot and sweaty (I think because of the fast 30* or so temp change). Here in CO on hot, dry days, it never performed as well as hot Southern humid days. I haven't had the current setup in a humid/sea level climate yet, it (with a larger parallel flow condenser) performs much better than it ever did with the RV2.

And, given the low relative humidity out here, I rarely even get a drip from the evap. Shooting the Evap with my laser temp gun through the one vent where there is a site line to the core, I've seen it get as low as 27* when cruising on an 80*day on the interstate.

The Sanden takes noticeably less power and drags the idle hardly at all (relatively speaking). When I weighed all the pieces parts removed and those installed, the Sanden setup was 30 lbs lighter.

All that said, I always liked the look of the RV2 right in the V of the small block.
© 2024 Moparts Forums