Moparts

Spring preches

Posted By: Savoy1964

Spring preches - 05/31/20 10:57 PM

Spring relocation kit came with longer spring perches then originally installed on Dana 60 the image shows the upper as the new ones and originals on lower they are a bit longer are they going to cause problems mating with the springs?

Attached picture axel2.jpg
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Spring preches - 06/01/20 01:29 AM

Should work just fine, and they do look long too.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Spring preches - 06/01/20 02:13 AM

Since those appear to be cut and bent instead of just stamped, I'd make sure those fold tabs don't rub on the spring. It also looks like the centering hole is too small compared to OEM.

Where did you get these? I've never seen spring pads like these. Even the generic ones I get from Speedway Motors look more OEM than these.

Re: Spring preches - 06/01/20 02:25 AM

uscartool kit for e-body spring relocation. The hole in the perch is an exact fit to the spring pins. The ones that came installed on the dana are from strange, its one of there dana's. The perches that came from Strange were installed at there place the hole in the center is a bit larger then it needs to be, we did not notice it when we installed axle first time. The original perches when on the spring and tightened to spec does not touch flat 100% because of the arch was worried the the longer ones would not sit right. Any insight on this is welcomed we haven't attached the new perches yet.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Spring preches - 06/01/20 03:48 AM

I would think the longer perches would help prevent axle wrap up more, and may even help the springs last a bit longer because it spreads the axle footprint out on to more of the spring. After they were torqued to spec, I think I would add a weld tack to all 4 corners of each perch, just so they couldn't spread any. Gene

Re: Spring preches - 06/01/20 01:14 PM

I was going to tack those spots would make that section stronger. We will most likley use these perches uscartool said in the description that the perches give less axle wrap.
Posted By: topside

Re: Spring preches - 06/01/20 03:39 PM

Looks to me like the longer perches shorten the effective length of the spring at both ends.
They might also extend into more of the arch - depends on the springs - so check that you can get a flat seat there.
FWIW, drag cars tend to have gussets added to the perches/tubes.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Spring preches - 06/02/20 12:11 AM

I like them and they will work better than the factory ones will. I have bent a few pair factory type ones with a hard hooking stick car. twocents

Gus beer
Posted By: jcc

Re: Spring preches - 06/02/20 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by poorboy
I would think the longer perches would help prevent axle wrap up more, and may even help the springs last a bit longer because it spreads the axle footprint out on to more of the spring. After they were torqued to spec, I think I would add a weld tack to all 4 corners of each perch, just so they couldn't spread any. Gene

I think that also would be the most common thinking. Mine is however different, I believe it might actually shorten the fatigue life ( which is almost infinite) on a spring with a longer perch, in that it concentrates all the remaining movement in an effectively shorter length of the leaf, and increases angle of bending at each end of the perch, granted by not much. I don't see it as plus longevity wise other then making a stiffer spring by shortening its length, which might be useful in itself.
© 2024 Moparts Forums