Moparts

440 main cap question??

Posted By: MO_PA

440 main cap question?? - 05/26/20 08:45 PM

I have a 440 and the main caps are loose in the block, they look like any other cap but they are narrow.
If I had another set would the width be the same? I'm certain the block would need to be align honed.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 440 main cap question?? - 05/26/20 09:31 PM

Are they narrower than the block ???

A "fix" for loose caps is to use a center punch and put 3 or 4 divits in the side of each cap then fit them to the block. It will need a line hone afterwards.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 440 main cap question?? - 05/26/20 09:47 PM

Main caps should have a interference, press in tight fit, not drop in and fallout.
The factory align hone the blocks with the original main caps to make the main bearing fit properly, if your caps are loose you need to have that fix with either having a good competent machine shop fix yours or buy new after market main caps (I use the aluminum ones from 440 Source up, do not use steel ones form any maker tsk twocents) and have them fitted and align hone to your block up
You may need a shorter timing set also depending on how much the shop removes from your main saddle align honing it shruggy scope

Re: 440 main cap question?? - 05/26/20 10:37 PM

Thanks Cab
Since I posted this question I spoke with the best machinist I know, he told me the straight poop on this just like Cab_Burge mentions.
I located another block from a friend so this one goes back in my stash for another 10 or so years.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 440 main cap question?? - 05/27/20 12:15 AM

I replace all the stock main caps on every motor I build, especially the stock 440 blocks, that will have above 600 HP up
I use to use the Mopar brand ductile iron main caps but I chose to switch to aluminum when Mopar quit selling their ductile iron main caps. whiney
BTW, make sure and use ARP main studs with any after market main cap up twocents
Posted By: Jerry

Re: 440 main cap question?? - 05/27/20 12:40 AM

just buy an aftermarket set of caps or one of our girdle kits depending on how much power you want to make. just use the block. i'd throw away the stock main caps anyway. and if your going to run studs, replace the caps, mod the block to make the stock caps tigheter. you still have to align bore the mains, so that cost will be there.

Re: 440 main cap question?? - 05/27/20 01:32 AM

Thanks for all the helpful ideas.
© 2024 Moparts Forums