Moparts

Seat frame spring replacement help

Posted By: WS68SSC

Seat frame spring replacement help - 05/04/20 03:03 AM

1969 Dodge Super Bee bucket seat

A few of the springs are broken due to rust. Will springs out of a 80s or 90s Dodge truck or Chrysler 5th Avenue work if i cut and weld them on?
Posted By: moparx

Re: Seat frame spring replacement help - 05/04/20 04:20 PM

i'v cut and welded springs from different seats to repair other type seats or cut seats down over the years with success.
if the springs you want to replace are the same wire size and pattern as the donor seat springs, i believe they will work for you.
beer
Posted By: burdar

Re: Seat frame spring replacement help - 05/04/20 06:07 PM

The upholstery shop I use has a roll of seat spring material. They replaced a couple on my Dart frames due to rust. You might check with a local place and see if they have some too.

If you have the vehicles you mentioned to use for parts then that's great. You'll have to compare the springs to see if they are the same diameter material and long enough to use. It might be quicker to talk to an upholstery shop though.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Seat frame spring replacement help - 05/05/20 05:26 PM

I see your heading says you're somewhere near Chicago. Me too about an hour south.
I just changed the seat in my 85 D150 and was gonna toss the original one in the trash. The upholstery itself isn't any good on the driver side. Pass side is. With a bench seat you have 2x the seat springs to pick n choose a set of"good" ones. Compared to a bucket. You want this one to try and harvest springs from? PM me.
© 2024 Moparts Forums