Moparts

440: HEI wires and coil for MSD ready to run

Posted By: p d'ro

440: HEI wires and coil for MSD ready to run - 05/03/20 11:58 AM

All I am finding are $130 8mm wires for this distributor. Are there mid range quality HEI wires for my MSD Black Redy to Run distributor (under $100) that will work fine on my pretty stock motor. Also, do I have to run a blaster coil or can I run the same coil as I do with my Mopar electronic distributor with Chrome box? Thanks!
Posted By: Twostick

Re: 440: HEI wires and coil for MSD ready to run - 05/03/20 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by p d'ro
All I am finding are $130 8mm wires for this distributor. Are there mid range quality HEI wires for my MSD Black Redy to Run distributor (under $100) that will work fine on my pretty stock motor. Also, do I have to run a blaster coil or can I run the same coil as I do with my Mopar electronic distributor with Chrome box? Thanks!

Firecore50. Nut much cheaper tho, at least at Mancini. You might be able to find them for less if you shop around.

https://www.manciniracing.com/fi50wiprofih1.html

Kevin
Posted By: topside

Re: 440: HEI wires and coil for MSD ready to run - 05/03/20 05:11 PM

Try Taylor, or looking through Summit or Jeg's catalogs.
Posted By: therocks

Re: 440: HEI wires and coil for MSD ready to run - 05/03/20 06:48 PM

We run nothing but Taylor Spiro pros.2 sets in over 20 years on my 440 with 2 inch headers.Only reason I changed them was they were shabby.Ran them on my 57 Chrysler Myjkid on his 413 with headers.Plus had them on my Durango and 3 small block.Rocky
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: 440: HEI wires and coil for MSD ready to run - 05/03/20 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Twostick
Originally Posted by p d'ro

Firecore50. Nut much cheaper tho, at least at Mancini. You might be able to find them for less if you shop around.

https://www.manciniracing.com/fi50wiprofih1.html

Kevin

iagree

Re: 440: HEI wires and coil for MSD ready to run - 05/03/20 09:06 PM

Thanks guys. What about the coul. Assume I need the Blaster 2. .

Re: 440: HEI wires and coil for MSD ready to run - 05/04/20 01:59 PM

We run the blaster with full MSD.Had to replec one after close to 20 years.Just bought another.Rocky
Posted By: topside

Re: 440: HEI wires and coil for MSD ready to run - 05/04/20 02:30 PM

If it doesn't have to look near-stock, the regular 1990-ish Ford F150 V8 epoxy coil is my favorite.
Tech West put me onto that years ago when my Blaster2 failed & took out my MSD6.
I've used that coil on 3 cars so far.
Posted By: GY3

Re: 440: HEI wires and coil for MSD ready to run - 05/04/20 02:45 PM

I've run both Firecore and Taylor. Both are good wire sets but I prefer the Firecore.

Re: 440: HEI wires and coil for MSD ready to run - 05/04/20 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by therocks
We run nothing but Taylor Spiro pros.2 sets in over 20 years on my 440 with 2 inch headers.Only reason I changed them was they were shabby.Ran them on my 57 Chrysler Myjkid on his 413 with headers.Plus had them on my Durango and 3 small block.Rocky

Does this look right?? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-74672/year/1967/make/dodge/model/coronet

Re: 440: HEI wires and coil for MSD ready to run - 05/04/20 05:54 PM

looks like them Ive had them and has my kid on cars with headers and never melted any.Oh yeah I do have some insulation on 7 because of the big tubes.Just use some diaelectric on the plug ends as they hold real tight and it helps them come offf easier.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums