Moparts

Electrical Out

Posted By: T/A CARe

Electrical Out - 05/01/20 09:15 PM

Hey folks,

1970 340-6 Challenger with electronic ignition kit.I turned the key, heard a loud "click" from the engine bay on the firewall in front of the glove box (ECM? Voltage regulator? There's a ceramic resistor over there too), then all power was gone, no ignition, dome light and headlights were out. I checked the ceramic resistor and it "looked" okay, no burns or flash marks.

I replaced the starter relay. Had lights and power. Turned the key and same thing. Loud "click" in the engine bay but no maybe lower down by the starter.

Any ideas as to where to start testing?

Thanks!
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Electrical Out - 05/01/20 09:39 PM

Is the click coming from the starter relay or the starter? If its the starter, hit it w a hammer and try again. The Bendix maybe sticking.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Electrical Out - 05/01/20 09:43 PM

If you can't get a clear shot on the starter due to stuff in the way, put a 2x4 on the starter then smack the end of the 2x4. Easier to do that then hit something you didnit want to hit.

Re: Electrical Out - 05/01/20 10:30 PM

Thanks! I'm going to need to get a someone to turn the key so I can go out and listen...

Re: Electrical Out - 05/01/20 10:32 PM

Thanks! Great tip!
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Electrical Out - 05/02/20 01:59 AM

If your losing all power it sounds like dirty battery cable connections.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Electrical Out - 05/02/20 02:15 AM

Check both ends of your battery cables. Make sure the ground is good.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Electrical Out - 05/02/20 02:20 AM

Didn't anyone else wonder what voltage the battery has? Or the condition of the battery cables and connections? Gene
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Electrical Out - 05/02/20 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by poorboy
Didn't anyone else wonder what voltage the battery has? Or the condition of the battery cables and connections? Gene

iagree Do some basic electrical troubleshooting before playing Ford mechanic with a hammer. grin
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Electrical Out - 05/02/20 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by stumpy
Check both ends of your battery cables. Make sure the ground is good.

had that on my 78 Fury last summer. the battery to starter cable seemed OK, but it corroded and lost contact right at/ within the lead terminal at the battery..... replaced the battery cable and no more issues.
but it "looked" fine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums