Moparts

Shipping an engine

Posted By: Vert

Shipping an engine - 04/29/20 04:19 PM

I've had some interest in an engine I have for sale. Several have inquired about shipping it. Anybody have a simple diagram of a pallet/crate they used for engines. Thanks.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Shipping an engine - 04/29/20 05:40 PM

I have a couple crates like these from buying crate motors through Mopar. They have a steel engine frame bolted in them to hold the engine then get a pallet to strap it down too. You might want to contact nearby dealerships, they usually throw them out back... work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Crate-Shipping-or-Storage-Container/324148535062?

Re: Shipping an engine - 04/29/20 05:47 PM

Thanks! I could buy that one, drive to pick it up, and drive back in the time it would take me to build one.
Posted By: T2R9

Re: Shipping an engine - 04/29/20 05:48 PM

I bought a 440 long block from someone in Vermont. They laid it on a pallet, two ratchet straps to hold it on, and wrapped it in plastic wrap. Cost me $245 delivered to my local Fastenal. Was perfectly fine when I received it.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Shipping an engine - 04/29/20 06:06 PM

I've built several crates for shipping engines. Here is a race engine on a pallet ready for the side walls. I just cut some panels from wafer board and screwed them together to make a box and then bolted the box to the pallet and shipped it. The engine was mounted on the frames that were screwed to the pallet.

Attached picture DSC_3100 (Large).JPG
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Shipping an engine - 04/29/20 06:10 PM

You forgot the old rubber tire under the long block. I shipped a R5P7 motor this way, use black plastic and no one should even care to lookie.

I did ship a viper crate motor to PR and the shipping company insisted it was to be enclosed, bolted to a pallet.

Originally Posted by T2R9
I bought a 440 long block from someone in Vermont. They laid it on a pallet, two ratchet straps to hold it on, and wrapped it in plastic wrap. Cost me $245 delivered to my local Fastenal. Was perfectly fine when I received it.
Posted By: topside

Re: Shipping an engine - 04/29/20 11:56 PM

Build a box that supports the oil pan rails, 2x8 sides, 2x4 front & rear.
Put it on a pallet, then strap the engine from the sides so it can't move.
Putting wheels on the pallet would be heroic in certain situations.

Re: Shipping an engine - 04/30/20 12:21 AM

Andy, Thats cheating! I have the rolling engine stand that is based on!
Posted By: 70Duster

Re: Shipping an engine - 04/30/20 12:43 AM

I have the crate my Mopar crate engine came in that I would sell, PM me if interested. I also have the metal stand that came with it.

Attached picture IMG_3313.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3312.JPG
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: Shipping an engine - 04/30/20 02:02 AM

Here's how I shipped 4 engine blocks to Germany.

Attached picture F2AB7952-E4B5-4761-8BC6-14A373183CE4_1_201_a.jpeg
Attached picture 0FD41037-8DC7-4A79-A32E-B0185BAF4867.jpeg
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Shipping an engine - 04/30/20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by T2R9

That is exactly what I've done more than once.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Shipping an engine - 04/30/20 11:07 PM

Simplest way I know is to get a free pallet and buy some 2x6 or 2x8s and surround the oil pan with them ... THEN screw the pan frame to that pallet. Don’t even really need to strap it down UNLESS the truck line requires it
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Shipping an engine - 05/01/20 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Vert
Thanks! I could buy that one, drive to pick it up, and drive back in the time it would take me to build one.

They are available everywhere unless you are in the middle of BFE, I was just showing that as an example. I have shipped engines on pallets tied down like shown above, if you don't care what condition the engine is in when it arrives then go right ahead...
Posted By: 70Duster

Re: Shipping an engine - 05/02/20 01:23 AM

The crate I referenced above sold tonight and is no longer available.
© 2024 Moparts Forums