Moparts

Help with challenger vinyl top mounting holes

Posted By: Kevin E

Help with challenger vinyl top mounting holes - 04/28/20 10:30 AM

Good morning, I am looking for help with locating the mounting holes on a 1971 Challenger. I've searched some old threads and only saw discussions on SE vs normal trim. Does someone know of a document or old pics that has the hole location dimensions? I'm adding a vinyl top and need help with getting the holes in the correct position. Thanks for the help!
Kevin

Re: Help with challenger vinyl top mounting holes - 04/29/20 11:41 AM

Does anyone have a car with the vinyl top holes that they can take photos of? Maybe measuring down from the rear window? Something would be better than a guess at this time.
Any help would be appreciated!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Help with challenger vinyl top mounting holes - 04/29/20 04:23 PM

Rather than relying on dimensions that may not be favorable, tape the trim on the car, measure so that it's uniform around the body, tape a tape line top and bottom to the edge of the molding, remove the molding, leaving the top and bottom tape lines in place, find and mark out the center between the tape lines, then place out your clip orientation, then drill or stud weld your clip attachment points along the centerline of the 2 tape lines.... this is how it's done when no holes are present, or your fitting a top to a non vinyl top vehicle, better to fit your trim to your car, rather than rely on erroneous dimensions

Mike
Posted By: burdar

Re: Help with challenger vinyl top mounting holes - 04/29/20 04:28 PM

iagree Also, I would highly suggest using the bolt-on clips instead of the "pins" and plastic clips. I couldn't get my trim to lay flat on my 73. The plastic clips that attach to the "pins" were flexing. I ended up drilling holes right next to the original "pins" and used the 1970 style bolt-on clips.

Re: Help with challenger vinyl top mounting holes - 04/29/20 07:25 PM

Thanks Mike, I did lay the moldings out but also wanted to be in the correct position with regards to the reveal from window to molding. Thanks for the help,
Kevin

Re: Help with challenger vinyl top mounting holes - 04/29/20 07:26 PM

I will look into doing the screw on style clips. Thanks for the input!
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Help with challenger vinyl top mounting holes - 04/30/20 03:59 AM

tape a tape line top and bottom to the edge of the molding, remove the molding, leaving the top and bottom tape lines in place, find and mark out the center between the tape lines, then place out your clip orientation,

Just use a black felt tip marker to trace the molding. Much easier then tape.
Posted By: PLUM_72

Re: Help with challenger vinyl top mounting holes - 04/30/20 03:13 PM

Any holes you put for vinyl top trim, make sure you find a way to seal them up! I think a lot of water got into these cars through the vinyl top trim holes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums