Moparts

Best place for PCM repair...

Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Best place for PCM repair... - 04/11/20 07:23 PM

Or best place to get a reman? Running an automatic trans PCM in the Dakota and of course, have the CEL on and runs up on fuel cut about 4500 or so.
Recommendations?

Tim
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Best place for PCM repair... - 04/11/20 07:43 PM

Have you looked to see if there is a pcm, ecu repair place in your area? Some times close to home is best if possible. If something goes wrong you can get it fixed a lot quicker.

Re: Best place for PCM repair... - 04/11/20 08:27 PM

Actually found one about 5 mi. away. No answer on phone or response to FB message though. They may have shut down with the shelter in place order. May have to live with the auto PCM for a while.

Tim
Posted By: 70runner

Re: Best place for PCM repair... - 04/11/20 10:22 PM

PT Cruiser recently got the dreaded 0601 TC, internal PCM issue. Drove fine but won't pass smog with engine light. Ebay has folks that sell used PCMs they map to your VIN and mileage, often with a guarantee. $72 later no engine light.

Re: Best place for PCM repair... - 04/12/20 12:24 PM

I have read several places about the mileage/VIN needing to be programmed into a new/different PCM but both in the Durango when I installed the Ram manual PCM and in the Dakota with the Ram auto PCM, both times I had the correct mileage. I had changed the oil in the Durango and already put the reminder on the windshield so I knew it was the same and the Dakota never left the driveway (mileage recorded on bill of sale). VIN I am sure would show up in a smog check but doesn't turn on the CEL. work
Appreciate the thought but would rather have my PCM repaired or buy a reman from a reputable source. As big of a PITA the failure was, I am very glad it happened in the driveway and not 2 hrs. from home. wink

Tim
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Best place for PCM repair... - 04/12/20 03:26 PM

by your 1st post can we assume that you converted to a stick in something??? I did this in my 93 318 Dakota and ran its original auto trans ECM for 72k miles just fine until the truck got wrecked...… the truck didn't know any difference.

Re: Best place for PCM repair... - 04/12/20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by volaredon
by your 1st post can we assume that you converted to a stick in something??? I did this in my 93 318 Dakota and ran its original auto trans ECM for 72k miles just fine until the truck got wrecked...… the truck didn't know any difference.

Yes, trans went out in my '00 Durango and I converted to a 5 speed. Durango totalled in side-swipe accident (not my fault, btw) so I bought this Dakota for a song. Manual PCM went out in driveway after completing the swap. Found an auto PCM at a pullapart Friday and got it running. Now it's just like the Durango was with it's auto PCM. CEL and hits fuel-cut about 4500 rpms.
Have to pull my notes but IIRC from asking here about a non-computer controlled auto swap, '95- back were what I needed. work Wish they made a Dakota QC that old. boogie

Tim
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Best place for PCM repair... - 04/13/20 08:29 PM

Tim....if you don't have any luck finding one local, holler at me. I had to buy a reman ECM for our Honda Civic last year, and it came from a place in Jacksonville, FL. I don't remember the name of the place, but I was happy with the transaction. I can look it up if you need me to. scope
© 2024 Moparts Forums