Moparts

small battery options

Posted By: TC@HP2

small battery options - 04/04/20 11:36 PM

Trying to get my project fired up and driveable for summer. I'm real close , if I leave the battery in the nose. I was originally going to relocate it, but that is a lot of optional work to disconnect switches, auxiliary wiring, alternator wiring, etc. So I've decided to leave it in the engine bay. However, I've added a steering reservoir and cooler set up where the batter WAS because, well, it wasn't going to be there. However, if I use a small sized glass mat battery, I may be able to fit it back in its original location.

So what recommendations are out there for smallish automotive batteries. I'm talking about something in the range of 7" long, 5" wide, 6" tall, for a street going vehicle with an 11:1 small block.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: small battery options - 04/05/20 12:39 AM

https://www.amazon.com/EarthX-ETX1600-Experimental-Aircraft-Alternator/dp/B07MZGC7MT

expensive, but it will work.

Re: small battery options - 04/05/20 03:54 PM

Uhh, yea.

Perhaps a rephrase is in order. After doing some browsing, what experiences does the membership have with Braille batteries?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: small battery options - 04/05/20 06:19 PM

That was what I did on my Duster. I came to the conclusion that it was just a big hassle to put the battery in the trunk so I designed a half size battery tray and used a half size battery under the hood. I don't need a master cutoff switch and the wiring is much easier. I'm now thinking of moving the battery out of the trunk on my Coronet. I can get rid of a bunch of heavy welding cables and simplify the wiring for the alternator by moving the battery back under the hood.

Attached picture DSC_3678 (Large).JPG
Attached picture DSC_3665 (Large).JPG
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: small battery options - 04/05/20 06:44 PM

I just installed an Odyssey PC925 which is small, and weighs about 26 pounds. Cranks over my 10.2 440 just fine. In my case I gutted my Mopar resto battery and put the Odyssey inside.

Re: small battery options - 04/06/20 01:26 AM

Andy, yours looks like a Braille unit. How do you like it for turning over the big block? I was looking at one of these that was small enough that a small plate on the frame rail with a fabbed top hold down would probably keep it all intact.

The Odyssey sounds like a decent alternative as well, but if I can go smaller, that's a bonus.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: small battery options - 04/07/20 04:27 AM

I'm also deciding on a battery now... will remain trunk mounted.. always looking at weight reduction... considering Braille... or Odyssey (PC925 has been recommended by a battery wholesaler). AGM type or Optima 34-1050 red top was my first choice ... but reconsidering for lighter weight.

Re: small battery options - 04/07/20 01:49 PM

I may still pursue a trunk mounted option in the future, but right now I just want to get my junk moving under its own power. My biggest concern with a small battery would be lower cranking amps and/or reserve power since mine is a street car. I'm trying to look at it from the perspective that some of these new AGM batteries have more capability than older, large, wet cell batteries, but it is still new to me to go this route.
Posted By: topside

Re: small battery options - 04/07/20 02:31 PM

Actually, a mini-battery doesn't even need to be in the engine compartment OR the trunk.
Depending on the car and its use, it could be inside the RF or LF apron, forward of the wheel/tire.
Bracket off frame rail or bumper bracket, splash shield if the car sees rain.
A master switch could be underhood if you like, as well as charging/jumper posts.

Re: small battery options - 04/07/20 02:54 PM

The battery I have doesn't have any problems cranking over my engine. I keep the car in a heated shop so I'm sure that helps a bunch. I might not use a battery like this in a snow plow or a fire truck but it works fine for a street car that only gets fired up when the weather is nice.
Posted By: BDW

Re: small battery options - 04/07/20 04:42 PM

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d figure out a way to use something that doesn’t cost $300.
Just bought a group 24 with 700 CCA for $50.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: small battery options - 04/07/20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by BDW
Maybe it’s just me, but I’d figure out a way to use something that doesn’t cost $300.

That’s a great price, but the OP is asking about “small battery options” and my Odyssey was $175 delivered.

Re: small battery options - 04/07/20 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Actually, a mini-battery doesn't even need to be in the engine compartment OR the trunk.
Depending on the car and its use, it could be inside the RF or LF apron, forward of the wheel/tire.
Bracket off frame rail or bumper bracket, splash shield if the car sees rain.
A master switch could be underhood if you like, as well as charging/jumper posts.

True, but even at 15-20#, I want to be very aware of weight placement. I also don't expect sanctioning bodies to be as hip to new stuff vs traditional safety requirements and cut me much slack on their requirements, regardless of where I place it.

Originally Posted by AndyF
The battery I have doesn't have any problems cranking over my engine. I keep the car in a heated shop so I'm sure that helps a bunch. I might not use a battery like this in a snow plow or a fire truck but it works fine for a street car that only gets fired up when the weather is nice.

This will be a fair weather driver so conditions will be similar.

Originally Posted by BDW

That's a good price and I'm happy for you. I could probably find a refurbed group 24 locally for around $50-75. A new 700 amp unit from the local chain outlet is $150. Summit and Jegs have the 15-20# Braille units for $199, which is only $50 more than the 45#, big booty Judy version of a group 24, which isn't too bad, IMO. $50 to loose 25-30# off the nose of the car is a heck of lot better deal than other approaches. Not even fiberglass body panels are cheaper per pound. Fortunately, there are a range of options out there for those of us who value different things.

Re: small battery options - 04/07/20 09:44 PM

Thread is about wanting a small battery and a group 24 is a full size battery. The Braille battery I used in my Duster wasn't very expensive and it saves a bunch of space and weight. The small battery combined with the half size battery tray is a feature in my Duster. Lots of people stop and look at it and ask questions about the battery and the fab work.
Posted By: pro451bee

Re: small battery options - 04/08/20 03:45 PM

17 lb unit for 4 years

Attached picture IMG_0222.JPG
Posted By: Hemidavey

Re: small battery options - 04/08/20 04:43 PM

I run a resto-mod shop and we see regular batteries failing at an alarming rate in regular cars and Hotrods. I've been using a Braille for 4 years, works great, saves weight and like the peace of mind even at higher cost. I'm going to order another for my new Dart build soon.
Posted By: STROKIE

Re: small battery options - 04/09/20 12:42 PM

I use Odyssey Extreme PC925 on 451C.I. 11 to 1 compression ratio.
The battery is in the car since ten years, only summer use...
I already order a new one just in case.
I recommend it up

https://www.cjoint.com/c/JDjmHSn8K6F
© 2024 Moparts Forums