Moparts

WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES

Posted By: Magnumguy

WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/28/20 03:08 PM

I bought one a couple years ago, and suddenly it's went bad. I kept it in a car and started it on occasion. (disconnected when not in use)

I must've lost all info from the battery. I beileve they're out of the Cincinnati area.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/28/20 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Magnumguy
I bought one a couple years ago, and suddenly it's went bad. I kept it in a car and started it on occasion. (disconnected when not in use)

I must've lost all info from the battery. I beileve they're out of the Cincinnati area.

I’m in the process of gutting my nine year old Axion Turbostart for an Odyssey conversion. Axion went bankrupt in 2018 which is a damn shame cause this thing was built like a tank and was still going strong at 9 years old. I bought it from Summit in Jan 2011.

I killed the batt on purpose cause I was getting nervous about its age, it was a group 27 and weighed...get this.....58 pounds. Unreal. Damn fine battery.

Oh well, the case is nice, and will live on.

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/28/20 05:59 PM

I had an Exide last 9 years. Good ones. I think they make the batteries for Advance.
Posted By: therocks

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/28/20 08:47 PM

Bill IIRC a company in Youngstown makes repo batterys.Cant remember the name but Google should have it.Rocky
Posted By: VegasCharger

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/28/20 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by therocks
Bill IIRC a company in Youngstown makes repo batterys.Cant remember the name but Google should have it.Rocky

True: It's called Antique Auto Battery in Youngstown, Ohio

https://www.theoldcarguys.com/resources/listings/aab-antique-auto-battery/

But if you go on Google Maps, it shows that it's closed permanently and it also shows "Jim Battery Manufacturing Co"

So I'm wondering if Jim took over the business and if he kept the same business model. ???

Attached is a screenshot from Google maps to support my facts.

- Red arrow pointing to the permanently closed.
- Green arrow pointing to Jim's.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/28/20 10:48 PM

Between myself and 2 friends . We had 3 of them die in less than 2 years use.
I bought a group 27 Mopar battery at the dealership and never looked back
Posted By: 69gtxvert

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/28/20 11:37 PM

I've had one for probably 10 years....died several years ago. Rather than toss it, I took a shot at turning it upside down for a couple of weeks, charged it and it's been OK since. Don't think it was ever excessively low on water, added a small amount to top off, nothing improved until it got flipped upside down.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/29/20 12:31 AM

I don't think I would want a repo battery.... I mean yeah, they have gone way up in price these past couple years.... but I haven't yet had to make payments on one. I need to get to work still, and if my battery gets repo'd overnite, I can't go to work.
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/29/20 10:40 AM

This might be a better option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Battery-S27M-red-1966-74-Caps-kit/312326370230?

This seller has kits for green, yellow and red caps, along with matching decals.

Mike.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/29/20 12:01 PM

https://www.batterycentralmall.com/Batteries/TurboStart/Dodge.html
anyone tried here?
Posted By: TOMRR

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/29/20 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
Between myself and 2 friends . We had 3 of them die in less than 2 years use.
I bought a group 27 Mopar battery at the dealership and never looked back

Me too, Not worth the $$$
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/29/20 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by mopars4ever

are these back in stock? they have been unavailable since maybe 5 years ago.

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/29/20 09:09 PM

Thanks gang!! I'll go with a cover up deal this round.

$2-300 for a 2 yr battery ain't getting it

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/29/20 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by NachoRT74
Originally Posted by mopars4ever

are these back in stock? they have been unavailable since maybe 5 years ago.

Those are the Axion Turbostart. They went out of business in 2018. As I posted above, I just gutted a 9 year old one that was still working. I would have paid $250 for one in a heartbeat. Bought mine from Summit back in 2011 for $200.

It was a pain in the ass to gut, really well made.

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/29/20 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by volaredon
I don't think I would want a repo battery.... I mean yeah, they have gone way up in price these past couple years.... but I haven't yet had to make payments on one. I need to get to work still, and if my battery gets repo'd overnite, I can't go to work.

Yeah....”repro”.....we get it.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/30/20 01:33 PM

Have several friends that race in the Factory appearing stuff.They take your shot OEM battery and install a new wave dry cell battery inside the case and save a chitload of weight whistling
If that is a task your not up to,PM me to hook up with one of the guys that can do it for you.No,,,,,,,,,don't know how much up
Posted By: RSI700VIPER

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/31/20 12:35 AM

I find it astonishing that no one has stepped up and started reproducing repro batteries. Most people I know in the hobby would love to have one under their hood. More astonishing is that at $380 a pop (the last price I paid for one), companies who made these went out of business.
Posted By: topside

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/31/20 01:04 AM

^^^ Market size, probably...or Chrysler licensing fees...
I wonder why, since we can get tops and caps and decals, someone doesn't make an upper case (top & sides), so everything visible looks correct ?
I'd think $100-$125 for that would sell.
But again, FCA will want a cut...and how many could that someone sell ?

I'd like to do the modern-battery-in-old-case deal, but the acid & acid-soaked insides are stopping me.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/31/20 01:41 AM

Rural King has flat topped group 24 and 27 batteries so I ordered a couple of sets of the eBay stick on caps and they look pretty good at a glance. The eBay caps are from Europe so maybe they are skirting copyrights so better to order now than wait.

Attached picture 805A68A7-8BF1-42F4-9580-07685245B070.jpeg
Attached picture 451DA015-BDD4-41AD-BE82-21DE54F15C76.jpeg
Posted By: stevet340

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/31/20 01:07 PM

Don't trust Google! It said the same thing about another shop I know and it wasn't closed! Google tries to make those businesses pay them to show they are still in business. Try calling.
Posted By: topside

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/31/20 03:21 PM

^^^ I ran into that a month ago on a shop; Google said they were permanently closed.
I called & visited, and they were anything but - busy as can be.

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/31/20 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by mopargem
Rural King has flat topped group 24 and 27 batteries so I ordered a couple of sets of the eBay stick on caps and they look pretty good at a glance. The eBay caps are from Europe so maybe they are skirting copyrights so better to order now than wait.

Looks good! I visited their site and couldn't find a Group 27 flat top battery. Which part number/model is that?

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/31/20 06:53 PM

I just emailed them. They do have the battery. This was the response. " Hi Mike,
Yes we still sell the Group 24 Mopar yellow cap restoration batteries. Price is $349 delivered. "
https://batterycentralmall.com/Batteries/TurboStart/Script/S24MY_L.html
Posted By: David1971

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/31/20 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by moparmike1

This seller has kits for green, yellow and red caps, along with matching decals.

Mike.

Can someone comment on the quality/cosmetics of the caps in this kit. I remember reading a post where it was said that the caps looked like they were made with a 3-D printer. I have a set of red caps from a reproduction battery. They looked to be produced with injection molding. The fine details...the lettering and edges of these caps look very sharp and distinct.

Attached picture 010.JPG
Attached picture 017.JPG

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/31/20 08:12 PM

I just ordered a group 27 red cap battery on line for $359 which includes shipping. According to the web site, they are in stock. The batteries are now maintenance free (sealed) batteries so hopefully they will last longer than the just I'm used to getting.

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/31/20 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by RSI700VIPER
I just ordered a group 27 red cap battery on line for $359 which includes shipping. According to the web site, they are in stock. The batteries are now maintenance free (sealed) batteries so hopefully they will last longer than the just I'm used to getting.

Do us a favor and post the weight of it when you get it! As I already posted, my Turbostart Axion group 27 that I bought in Jan 2011 weighed 58 pounds! Was still starting my 440 nine years later when I killed it and gutted it last week. Damn good battery, damn heavy.

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 03/31/20 08:53 PM

Well, I called Battery Central Mall just to be sure they got my order. They said batteries were "Available to be ordered" and the next group to be shipped from the manufacturer would be 5-7 weeks. I can wait.

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 04/01/20 01:38 AM

I will be ordering one soon.I can wait also.
Posted By: Kowal

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 04/04/20 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda

Do us a favor and post the weight of it when you get it! As I already posted, my Turbostart Axion group 27 that I bought in Jan 2011 weighed 58 pounds! Was still starting my 440 nine years later when I killed it and gutted it last week. Damn good battery, damn heavy.

I have a red cap turbo start battery that just died. Also had it since 2011, too bad it finally gave up. Anyway, what are you doing to gut it and replace the insides? What have you bought to go inside, or are you not that far yet?
Posted By: VegasCharger

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 04/15/20 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by moparmike1

Mike.

I'd rather have an off brand battery than buying that kit. What a joke! It screams "I'm cheap and here is my generic battery display". But these are very popular from all of the other Mopar forums I've read. Heck use 6 Coke bottle caps and save your money. But that's my opinion coming from a guy that doesn't care what the battery looks like as long as it's the correct fit and it performs. Also you will never see me having generic battery post connectors ever on my cars. I've seen $40,000+ for sale cars with cheap battery connectors on them. Pure laziness.

Back to this kit, for me it's a good name brand battery correct application or pony up for repo with the correct embossed lettering/numbering etc. And I'm not paying $300.00+ on a battery. So it's name brand battery and don't dive a rat's A$$ what people think. My hood will be shut most likely anyway. I'm so glad that I'm not a numbers humper, way too expensive. Just drive the DAMN car!!!

beer
Posted By: tman

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 04/16/20 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kowal

I have a red cap turbo start battery that just died. Also had it since 2011, too bad it finally gave up. Anyway, what are you doing to gut it and replace the insides? What have you bought to go inside, or are you not that far yet?

There is an older thread that you can read here.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...ry-in-your-dead-group-27.html#Post820564

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 04/16/20 01:24 AM

I’m done with mine. All I had to buy was a pc925L battery and two 19 inch Cables (eyes on both ends). Works great, cranks over 10.2 to1 440 just fine. Saved about 29 pounds too!!!

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 07/30/20 10:00 PM

Has anyone purchased one of the Group 24 or 27 reproduction batteries from Battery Central Mall? If so, are you satisfied with your purchase?
https://www.batterycentralmall.com/Batteries/TurboStart/Plymouth.html

Thanks,
David

Attached picture Untitled2b.jpg
Posted By: Chi_Town_Runner

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 07/30/20 11:03 PM

I bought one from Moparts Member Fred Gilmore.

I was $229.00 and FREE delivery. I must of had it at least 7 years or so. I don't think he's in business anymore

Here was his advertised contact

fgilmore@dtnspeed.net

Looked just as good as battery central
Posted By: Suregrip391

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 07/30/20 11:27 PM

I have the kit in my car, sticker and battery caps. I use an Interstate battery. Repop batteries are too much, for me, this works....

Attached picture 0FBB396C-2545-46B4-B937-24DD34009475.jpeg
Posted By: Suregrip391

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 07/30/20 11:29 PM

One more

Attached picture 2ACA3332-B3C0-457D-8E7C-649C5B7D3168.jpeg
Posted By: charge70

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 07/31/20 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by David1971
Has anyone purchased one of the Group 24 or 27 reproduction batteries from Battery Central Mall? If so, are you satisfied with your purchase?

Thanks,
David

I bought 2 Group 27 batteries from the Mall,no problems here.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 07/31/20 12:26 AM

Strange that there's no listing on the actual turbostart web site... work..

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 07/31/20 12:28 AM

Turbo start (Axion) went out of business two years ago.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 08/01/20 03:01 AM

Correct{although resto battery production has been longer than 2 yrs}... But the turbo start name was resurrected from the ashes to a company down south that's not axion...And evidently these new batteries are the product...If you go to the new companies web site there's no listing for the resto batteries or any updates for that matter.. link to new company

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 08/01/20 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by charge70
Originally Posted by David1971

Thanks,
David

I bought 2 Group 27 batteries from the Mall,no problems here.

I sent an email to them inquiring about their repro batteries. This is the response that I received:

"All classic car batteries right now have a small AGM battery in a reproduction case. These AGM batteries used in the reproduction case are the same batteries used by racers. The caps are for cosmetic purposes only and the caps on these batteries do come off. "

But I forgot to ask about charging. Do the AGM racing batteries;Odysssey, TurboStart, etc. require a special charger? I have been using Battery Tenders for my lead acid batteries.

David
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 08/01/20 03:31 PM

and what are the specs on them?

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 08/01/20 03:51 PM

If it's an AGM, then any charger compatible will work. The newer Battery Tenders will work with AGM. Just have to look up the specs.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 08/02/20 05:31 AM

I did mine, unlike others I have seen I cut the top off to be used as a lid. This also left the whole case intact.
I treadled the post and screwed the post in but may just bolt a cable to them and then onto the new battery inside.
I also epoxied some plastic angle {like angle iron} to hold the top in place but the factory hole down would work. I kinda go past what is needed at times.
I polished the rubber case as seen in the picture with Yellow Caps. And have 2 sets of caps in case I want the 24 to look like a 27 I kinda go past what is needed at times.

Attached picture battery.JPG
Attached picture Battery-1.jpg
Attached picture Battery-2.jpg
Attached picture Battery-3.jpg

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 08/02/20 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 340SIX
I did mine, unlike others I have seen I cut the top off to be used as a lid. This also left the whole case intact.
I treadled the post and screwed the post in but may just bolt a cable to them and then onto the new battery inside.
I also epoxied some plastic angle {like angle iron} to hold the top in place but the factory hole down would work. I kinda go past what is needed at times.
I polished the rubber case as seen in the picture with Yellow Caps. And have 2 sets of caps in case I want the 24 to look like a 27 I kinda go past what is needed at times.

Nice work! What type of tool did you use to cut through the case?

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 10/10/20 08:55 PM

Just received an email from Mancini's that the red top batts from Turbostart are in stock, but says to call them. But you can buy from Summit or Jegs too. Summit says est delivery date is 10/26.

https://www.manciniracing.com/trbs27mrla.html

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 10/10/20 09:52 PM

$299.99 from Summit. Hmm, I wonder where I can find a Summit 10% off coupon ?

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 02/04/21 05:28 AM

I have a repro Group 27 red cap battery core that anyone can have to gut out. It is an old Turbostart AGM so no wet cells. Pick up only in the Seattle area. This battery lasted 10 yrs and still starts up the 440, but the cranking is slow.
Posted By: mickm

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 02/04/21 04:49 PM

I gutted mine as well. I don't remember how long it lasted, but not more than 3 or 4 years at most.

I put a Odyssey PC925 in it. That was 3 years ago, and it too is starting to crank slow. But better a $157 replacement.

Should have taken more pictures, but here we are.

Attached picture IMG_4432.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4429.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4434.JPG

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 02/04/21 06:25 PM

I am maintaining my Odyssey PC925 on a Battery Tender Jr even though it’s not recommended. IMO the charging issue boils down (ha! Pun intended) to whether or not the Charger reaches float stage and drops voltage down to around 13.3, which last I checked mine does.

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 02/04/21 08:17 PM

I am maintaining my Odyssey PC925 on a Battery Tender Jr even though it’s not recommended. IMO the charging issue boils down (ha! Pun intended) to whether or not the Charger reaches float stage and drops voltage down to around 13.3, which last I checked mine does.

X2
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 02/04/21 11:55 PM

I have a modern Mopar group 27 in my car. date on it is 2011

Still cranks pretty quick

When the time comes I will put another one in it. I dont need a $300 and up battery in my car
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 02/05/21 09:35 AM

I wish someone sold just the cases, so people can modify their own. I think folks would buy more of them if they had an option.
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 02/05/21 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by migsBIG
I wish someone sold just the cases, so people can modify their own. I think folks would buy more of them if they had an option.

Yes, this would be the answer for plenty of us.

Mike.
Posted By: 340cpe

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 02/08/21 02:02 AM

If Jim’s (Antique Auto Batt) is still going, they have my full support. I have an eight year old group 24 that is still going strong when their maintenance instructions are followed. Bought another two years ago for another car and no issues.

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 02/08/21 03:38 AM

I ordered my battery from Battery Central Mall. I spoke to Wayne there and he advised that the battery will be coming from Jim's battery mfg. It will take about 6 weeks. I received my battery within that time frame and the box it came in has Jims battery logo on it. In fact it came in last week. I ordered during xmas week. So far so good. I agree, it would be nice if they just sold the case. Jim's website is not so good but he does have one.

https://jimsbatterymfg.com/shop/
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 02/08/21 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by mickm
I gutted mine as well. I don't remember how long it lasted, but not more than 3 or 4 years at most.

I put a Odyssey PC925 in it. That was 3 years ago, and it too is starting to crank slow. But better a $157 replacement.

Good job.
I seen guys who cut bottom put but cutting the top off to.me is the way to go.

Re: WHO SELLS THOSE REPO BATTERIES - 02/08/21 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by 340SIX
Originally Posted by mickm

Good job.
I seen guys who cut bottom put but cutting the top off to.me is the way to go.

I started mine by cutting a window in the bottom but it soon became obvious that wasn’t going to work due the solid construction of the plates being attached to the top.
So I grabbed my sawsall and CAREFULLY. Cut off the top. Once it was all cleaned up, and internal cables attached, I siliconed the top back on to bottom. Perfect. I mean perfect. I made a bottom (not really necessary) out of 1/4 plywood and some 1/4” bolts to serve as locating pins. The batter hold down serves its purpose of holding everything together, and secure to the tray.
© 2024 Moparts Forums