Moparts

68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy?

Posted By: HemiRick

68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/23/20 05:04 PM

Looking for a 68 Abody high pressure power steering hose. Can't find one except Rockauto for $160 !!!!! Help !?
Posted By: formula_s

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/23/20 05:29 PM

Do you have the old hose? A NAPA store especially in a rural town can make up hydraulic hoses from your existing hose.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/23/20 06:56 PM

I am sure you are talking about a 340 Dart, correct? The 383 hose is tougher to find, I had to have one made for my 69 but it is not even close to the orginal. frown
Posted By: Sniper

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/23/20 07:28 PM

Engine?

The 68 parts book I have lists two pressure hoses, slant six or LA engine, no listing for a 383 A body shown.

slant six PN 2891063 same for ALL bodies. This one is found on RA for cheap

LA PN 2937981 all A bodies, some B's including 383 and 440 applications as well as the LA's. This is the $160 one I bet.

RA lists quite a few for a 69 A with a 383, maybe that can work?

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/23/20 07:49 PM

Here is the original hose from my 69 383 Dart...

Attached picture 101_1677.JPG

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/23/20 07:56 PM

The $160 hose looks pretty close to the 383 hose, the ones listed for a 69 383 look nothing like it. Of course you look at the slant six hose and it is the same...

Attached picture Rock auto power steering hose.jpg

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/23/20 08:05 PM

It's a 273 engine....my hose has fittings/ends on BOTH ends like the lower one in the top pic and upper one in the 2nd pic.
It's not the rubber part of the hose that's leaking, but where the end connects to the box there's a drip. Tightening the connection does not stop it. I;ve taken it apart and inspected the metal flare and seat and they look fine.

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/23/20 08:43 PM

Are you saying they have female flare fittings on each end?

Got a pic?

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/23/20 08:50 PM

Are you saying they have female flare fittings on each end?

Yes
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/23/20 09:16 PM

The pump usually has an inverted flare and the box has a male flare. Some A-body boxes have a 90° flare fitting.

Attached picture PS fitting01.jpg

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/23/20 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
The pump usually has an inverted flare and the box has a male flare. Some A-body boxes have a 90° flare fitting.

The big block A-Body has the 90 degree fitting, the small blocks and slants do not. I actually have bought that 90 degree fitting at a parts store out of a Dorman cabinet before. Here is a pic of the hose I had made that is still on my steering box.

Attached picture Power steering.jpg

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/23/20 09:58 PM

The pump end should be a male flare fitting, screws right into the pump. I wonder if the pump is wrong? Or someone added a fitting to it?

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/23/20 10:51 PM

My car has the 90 degree fitting pictured above....it's dripping off the nut, that tightens the end of the hose at the box......I have removed and inspected both the flare and the fitting....and see no problem....but it's still dripping.....

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/24/20 12:22 AM

I believe I had a 67 Dart GT convertible with the 273 4-bbl that had the fitting also. There should be a copper washer under the fitting that screws into the sector. I don't know if that is where yours is leaking, but mine leaked there until I got a new washer. shruggy

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/24/20 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper
The pump end should be a male flare fitting, screws right into the pump. I wonder if the pump is wrong? Or someone added a fitting to it?

The pump is the original, I am the second owner and the hose I showed above is the original also. Same pump, sector, and hose I have seen on other 69 big block power steering A-Body's I have owned and judged over the years.

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/24/20 01:14 AM

Not talking about a BB A body. The pump used on the 273 is only used on 273's and 318's according the the FSM.

He has a 273. The steering box end is a female flare attached to that 90 degree fitting you mentioned, though on a non BB A body it's not a 90 degree one. The parts manual does show a different part number for a BB A body than all the rest.

The steering pump housing is designed to take a male flare connection with no additional fittings required. The 68 FSM has a section on replacing the Discharge Fitting Ferrule if needed, that ferrule is what seals the male flare fitting on the hose to the pump. The parts book only shows one pump for all A bodies, a .96" unit.

It makes me wonder is someone installed a pump from something else and found a hose to make it work? Or put a fitting in the pump that is not supposed to be there making the OP think he can't find the right hose?

Maybe some pics from the OP will help sort it out?

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/24/20 02:29 AM

Should have pics of both ends of current hose in the morning. Thanks for the help For the most part this a very original unmolested car......

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/24/20 07:58 PM

I was wrong about the connection at the pump....it's a male.

In the 2nd pic it's dripping off of the fitting.....onto the pump, you can see a little wet spot.

Attached picture two.jpg
Attached picture three.jpg
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/24/20 09:07 PM

I'd try and see if someone could trim the line back a little and reflare the it. Maybe an A/C shop.

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/24/20 09:11 PM

Thats a good idea! I have a flaring tool.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/24/20 09:31 PM

If you're absolutely sure the leak is at the flare, try a flare gasket.

Attached picture Gasket.PNG

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/24/20 11:11 PM

Even better idea I had no idea they made these !!
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/25/20 02:44 AM

My 340 GTS has the 90 degree fitting. I believe that the '67 273 cars that we have owned all had the 90 degree as well. It's about keeping the hose away from the heat and the straight fitting won't do that.

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 03/26/20 10:21 PM

I got that exact part # copper gasket and its too big.....by a good bit. Do they make them smaller than 1/4?

To answer my own question Yes they make 3/16 and some of these arrived today and look like they will fit.
Posted By: Prodart440

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 04/01/20 06:51 PM

What is the thread size on the 90 degree elbow? I need to pick one up. Thanks!!

Re: 68 A body HP power steering hose where to buy? - 04/01/20 10:54 PM

The 3/16 flare gasket was the right size but it did not stop my drip, removed line and cut off and reflared and that stopped the drip, but now from messing w it, it was leaking from the 90 fitting. Removed it and replaced the rubber o ring where it screws into the pump and this fixed the last leak.

I did not see the above question till after it was back together again. Sorry.
© 2024 Moparts Forums