Moparts

Headlight bulb UPgrade ?

Posted By: dOrk !

Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/05/20 06:49 AM

... on my Carrotvan and the Chrysler 200 ... I’d kind of like to GO BLUE and a tad brighter. Any reasonably priced bulbs someone could suggest? Does the blue tint compromise the brightness much ? Are there bulbs out there that are TOO MUCH AMPERAGE for the wiring and/or fusing ?
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/05/20 03:14 PM

Before going to blue...
Suggest U check your local laws certain places don't allow these..

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: therocks

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/05/20 03:20 PM

The blues suck Had them in my Durango and pulled them after a week.Just upgraded the Journey to Sylvsanias from Rock Auto.Theyhave a bunch listed.If they are the older bulbs that have just 1 bulb you can go to a 55/100 watt with no problems.Ran them for years in the Durango.Still run them in the 65 and my Harleys.Rocky
Posted By: burdar

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/05/20 03:28 PM

The headlights on my 16 Dart SUCK when the roads are wet. I can't see much of anything. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Sylvania Silverstars. They are expensive but are supposed to be brighter and a little more "white". One of my friends put LEDs on his 200 and loves them. He had to put resistors inline with them because they draw so much less current. The computer didn't like the change and turned off the headlights.(before adding the resistors)
Posted By: moparx

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/05/20 04:24 PM

as already said, those blue ones are JUNK. i have tried several different sets, and they are ALL a waste of money.
my wife's car is a 94 concorde, and those lights were so bad chrysler "upgraded" them in 95 or 96. the "upgrade" light housings consisted of fluted lens instead of a mostly clear lens. they STILL were not very good lights. i tried some LEDs last year in a new set of genuine mopar light assemblies, and it was a definite improvement. however, the LEDs are a tad tough to aim [in my opinion] because of their beam pattern. these were the bulbs with the cooling fans and adapter resistors. if it makes any difference.
we both don't drive after dark much any more, so this may not mean anything to anyone.
beer
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/05/20 04:26 PM

To make them blue they are just tented, or lightly painted, so they aren't as bright as a clear bulb.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/05/20 04:27 PM

After chasing the brightest bulbs for a while I finally settled on the Philips X-treme vision 130+. The Sylvania silverstar ultras are good also. The blue lights are just a gimmick and aren't as bright downroad as a stock bulb.
Posted By: topside

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/05/20 05:44 PM

White light will outperform blue light.
The reason: blue is essentially the dominant tint of everything we see, so more blue light wouldn't help differentiate objects.
Wattage is the factor to use, but that's limited to 55W with normal bulbs.
If you're sticking with stock wattage, the reflector & lens also need to be in good shape; the reflective plating deteriorates just like the clarity of the lenses.
Years back, I had Euro headlamps in my 911 with H1 bulbs, and ran something like 90/130W Hella bulbs I found on the web.
Very bright, long-distance light, great for the late-night proficiency runs but anti-social if improperly aimed.
Two problems designed into some cars are a poor reflector/lens shape and computer management that dislikes added resistance or power usage.

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/05/20 06:51 PM

My sons is a parts manager at Advance.I got the Sylvanias at Rock Auto becuse I could get all 4 for the Journey cheaper then he could get me 2.They have a ton listed.IIRC I got the 2nd brghtest they had.Rocky
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/05/20 08:42 PM

Has anyone tried the LED headlights? Looks like they are brighter and draw less power?

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/05/20 08:58 PM

Too much hassle to change over and won't work if you have a newer vehicle because they blink even with the resistors added. I have a big box full of HID and LEDS and XENONS that didn't work and were wasted money.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/05/20 09:13 PM

My sons is a parts manager at Advance.I got the Sylvanias at Rock Auto becuse I could get all 4 for the Journey cheaper then he could get me 2.They have a ton listed.IIRC I got the 2nd brghtest they had.Rocky

Are you sure? What year Journey? I just looked and Rock Auto doesn't list Sylvania bulbs.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/05/20 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by roadrunninMark
Has anyone tried the LED headlights? Looks like they are brighter and draw less power?

Put a set of 7" round GE NightHawk LED headlights on my 51 Plymouth. They as indeed brighter and draw less power. Of course I had to convert to 12v negative ground to do that, but that was the plan anyway.

Attached picture rewire.jpg

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/05/20 11:53 PM

THX guys .... the blue option is dead. Per the opinions here .... a well lit road is the main concern

But the stock bulb is 55 watt ?

And the bulb and reflector HOUSING? ... me thinks a new set is a good idea.

Eagle Eyes ?
Posted By: jcc

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/06/20 12:59 PM

On my trucks/semi, I converted the std 5x7 sealed beams over to LED's by Grote. I think the biggest issue with LED's is getting proper lens/housing/optics design. LED's are Led's.
The Grotes I got years back are incredible, in every regard, except maybe price point,and the price has dropped about $100, but still very much worth it.

I'm currently toying how to modify my 62 Lancer 4 beam housings to accept the 5x7's.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gte-90951-5

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/06/20 01:02 PM

burdar its a 12 Journey.Just ordered them like 2 monts ago.They had a bunch of different bulbs listed.Mine were Sylvanias.Rocky
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/06/20 05:13 PM

The neighbor hood kids went round and round with headlights and did all the fancy stuff. The 4 kids easily went through dozens of bulbs & Light combos.

Upgraded Halogen are good.
HID are brighter but last about 2 or 3 months and are not worth the extra time effort and problems. They require Ballasts and extra wiring. It may be easy to do but obvious it's there.
LED can easily be brighter than Halogen with no changes to the wiring on a typical 12V system. They are much more dependable than Halogen or Standard, and way better then HID.

Just food for thought.

Hope it helps
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/06/20 06:21 PM

I think that all replacement bulbs are limited to a maximum "brightness", but the brighter appearing bulbs have a higher color temperature (whiter, less yellowish.) On the Sylvania Silver Star "Ultra" the light color is whiter, but the bulb life is about 1/2 that of the regular Silver Star light.
I don't know about the Xenon Charged bulbs, or the LED replacement bulbs.
I haven't used the LED headlights. They use less power to make the same brightness, and sounds like they have a real high color temperature.
On other LED lights I have used I noticed when they are brand new they will be very bright, but over time they stabilize with a bit less brightness than when new.

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/06/20 10:21 PM

LEDs are FOR SURE are a consideration... is there a listing for the carrotvan? I checked O and AZ ... nothing

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/06/20 10:44 PM

Try EBay for LED info. You don't have to buy there but you could get some ideas. Basically you need to know what bulbs your carrot van uses.

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/07/20 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by stumpy
Try EBay for LED info. You don't have to buy there but you could get some ideas. Basically you need to know what bulbs your carrot van uses.

ESPECIALLY for the 200 vert .... those are kind of BUGER to get at
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/07/20 01:22 PM

I see a few suggestions for LED's, but how well do they work out in a 365 day driver when you live somewhere where you get frozen precipitation?

I've seen a number of comments online of how great LED's are, EXCEPT because they generate no heat, they won't stay clear in snow/frozen rain.

shruggy

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/07/20 04:30 PM

Satty7 ... did a quickie search for the carrotvan... 10-12$ for a pair ??!!

Snow and frozen rain ? SOUNDS like that’s bummer climate to live in ! smoke

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/07/20 06:31 PM

These won't fit your carrotvan or 200, but for older style 5 3/4" 4 headlight systems... What do you guys think about these? It says they do not come with instructions, so might take a little ingenuity to get them wired correctly? They might just plug right in too? I can't see the plug end. Price is pretty darn good for 4 LED glass headlights (unless it is chinese wonder$hit).... headlights on ebay
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/07/20 06:38 PM

Is there a stock appearing LED replacement headlight for a 1970 Duster available now.

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/07/20 07:36 PM

Pit, these fit a Dodge D100, which shows the same as the 70 Duster on Rock auto list. So I believe these would work for you. Not exaclty OEM looking lens, but pretty close and not bad on the price..... https://www.ebay.com/itm/H6024-Head...0?hash=item4b1ae6c282:g:qUQAAOSwo8NcW1pp
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Headlight bulb UPgrade ? - 03/07/20 08:07 PM

Pit, these fit a Dodge D100, which shows the same as the 70 Duster on Rock auto list. So I believe these would work for you. Not exaclty OEM looking lens, but pretty close and not bad on the price..... https://www.ebay.com/itm/H6024-Head...0?hash=item4b1ae6c282:g:qUQAAOSwo8NcW1pp

Hey thank you Sir. It’s for a couple track only cars so it doesn’t have to look perfect. Heck honestly I only need a low beem to get through some of the dark pits. The led would be less battery drain I’m sure. Thank you very much.
© 2024 Moparts Forums