Moparts

elec ignition intermittent no fire

Posted By: 1badrt

elec ignition intermittent no fire - 02/21/20 12:58 PM

has any one had a issue where electronic ignition had no fire but wiggle ignition module connector and then fires up, several modules and even new harness, could it be possible dist issue.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: elec ignition intermittent no fire - 02/21/20 02:23 PM

Make sure it's well grounded.
Posted By: burdar

Re: elec ignition intermittent no fire - 02/21/20 02:40 PM

iagree Make sure the ground is good. Also, you can slightly compress the female wiring connectors so the male end fits really tight. You could have a loose connection. I had to do this even on a new harness.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: elec ignition intermittent no fire - 02/21/20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by burdar
iagree Make sure the ground is good. Also, you can slightly compress the female wiring connectors so the male end fits really tight. You could have a loose connection. I had to do this even on a new harness.

Compress?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: elec ignition intermittent no fire - 02/21/20 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by dart4forte
Originally Posted by burdar

Compress?
Squish it (the connectors) down so it isn't loose fitting, sliding on instead of having to push them on scope
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: elec ignition intermittent no fire - 02/21/20 08:58 PM

It couldn't hurt to check the reluctor gap as long as you're in there. I've had a car where it was too wide, and I guess became wider when hot, so it wouldn't start easily when hot. I closed it to ~.008 and it started everytime then.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: elec ignition intermittent no fire - 02/21/20 09:37 PM

but wiggle ignition module connector and then fires up,
Check any adjacent wires that are being jostled when you wiggle it for a potential loose connection. You replaced the ECU pentastar connector/pigtail?
Posted By: tman

Re: elec ignition intermittent no fire - 02/22/20 12:53 AM

Just for sheets and grins, check for loose wire/terminal to ballast resistor. For me, car would start, then die while idling. Jiggled the wires to ballast and it was loose from inside the crimped spade.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: elec ignition intermittent no fire - 02/22/20 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by tman
Just for sheets and grins, check for loose wire/terminal to ballast resistor. For me, car would start, then die while idling. Jiggled the wires to ballast and it was loose from inside the crimped spade.

Yeap: ballast coil wires usually Nichrome (soild & very hard) & just crimped to softer brass wire terminals. Not an ideal electrical connection. Plus with the ceramic filler, really can't see condition. That's why spares are always needed.
Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: elec ignition intermittent no fire - 02/22/20 01:28 PM

This can be a ton of things, but if just wiggling the connector at module and you have replaced modules and harness it doesn't make much sense to me. All new components can't be bad. So either it is coincidence or how your module is grounded as mentioned above.
Posted By: 1badrt

Re: elec ignition intermittent no fire - 02/22/20 01:42 PM

yes it is an unusual issue, been playing with mopars most of my life and always add many ground wires throughout the car, i always thought they had to few, i have replaced terminals with copper and have tried many things. its funny how the issue shows up, thank you every one for your help.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: elec ignition intermittent no fire - 02/22/20 03:27 PM

Through the years I have replaced many distributor pick up units. They can be very erratic and tough to diagnose.
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: elec ignition intermittent no fire - 02/22/20 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1badrt
has any one had a issue where electronic ignition had no fire but wiggle ignition module connector and then fires up, several modules and even new harness, could it be possible dist issue.

If you wiggle the rubber connector boot and the issue goes away it is not likely the distributor or ballast resistor. It is the connector.

I would use a small set of visegrip needle nose pliers and slightly, just slightly crush the female bullet connectors inside the rubber boot.

Then using a long brass bristle brush clean the female bullet connector contacts inside the plug and the pins on the ECM box.

Smeer a small dollop of dielectric grease in the contacts and push it in place. You may need to use some force to get the female connector to push over the male ECM pins.

Attached picture ECM connector 1.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums